Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed: nailer and galvanized nails for deck upgrade

Advice needed: nailer and galvanized nails for deck upgrade

I have a fairly large wood deck at the back of my +20 year old home.. I eventually plan to replace it with stone.. Presently it needs some repairs, upgrade and maintenance. The objective is to make it presentable for a few years until I do the stone upgrade .The deck is faced with pressure treated 5/4" 1x6 stock. I want to replace some of the deck boards prior to staining as well as in some cases reverse the boards to the better side..I plan of course, to use galvanized nails..My specific question is: Can I use 1 of my nailers and use galvanized nails in them? I have 2 Porter Cable nailers: finishing and brad and I was given several years ago, a Harbor Freight (!) 6 in 1 framing nailer 93910 .. That is an older unit. I'm not sure what nails can be handled in that nailer, let alone galvanized...what do you guys recommend? I do want to use galvanized nails but am not sure of my options. (I prefer not to use screws in this temporary upgrade)..as you can tell ,I do not use my nail guns often...Let me know your thoughts for this temporary maintenance.That will be very helpful..Thanks much in advance.,
    Jerry
    Jerry

I use the Porter Cable FR350B 21 degree framing nailer. My honest opinion is that even 3-1/2" galvanized nails will not hold well for very long. They are skinnier than loose nails and will begin self extraction with the first change of seasons. I have built severral decks and I don't even trust hand driven ring shank nails. I only use screws anymore because I don't want to go back and do repair work.

Jerry,

Only an opinion not supported by any experience, but I have read that galvanized nails are a poor outdoor option. What I read is that galvanizing is a coating, and any impact will crack the coating.

You will be happier with deck screws, even for a few years. My .02

Blog Entries
    Did an entire deck about 10 yrs ago with galvanized nails. Won't do it again. Year or less later and a ton of the nails are pulled up or out. I'd just bite the bullet and buy screws.

Years ago in a prior life I built houses for a living, and used galvanized nails until I realized what a poor job it did. Galvanized deck screws became available, and I made the switch. Even went to the trouble of drilling through the decking before screwing it down, as it eliminated cracks. Makes replacing a board much easier, if all you have to do is unscrew it.

Thanks guys....sounds like most of you are saying: Use SCREWS! I know its better but its so much easier to use a nailer IMHO...I'll continue to watch and read your advice and comments..You'll probably persuade me..Thank you...
    Jerry

Screws - definitely. If you use the square drive ( compared to phillips head ) you will be able to remove them easily in the future. You should be able to rent a deck screwing machine while purchasing the fasteners at the big box stores - basically a drill with an extension so you don't have to bend over as much.

I just got done tearing apart my 13 year old deck last year. The builder used nails but they were toenailed through the sides of the 2x6 so no nails were visable on the face. I am guessing they has some sort of attachment for the nailer. It held up well. The new deck I used screws angled through the sides of the decking.

They do have automatic screw guns, I'm just not sure the prices but it might be worth looking in to.

SCREWS!!! It will take longer now but next year and the years after you will not be renailing. To do it fancy (no hardware showing) check out Kreig's deck screw jig.

Deckmate "star drive" screws from Home Depot. Get an 18v impact driver if you don't have one, instead of another nailer.

Last year my father in law and I installed 300 ft of fencing. I went to Home Depot and bought the RIDGID 1/4 in. AC Collated Screw Gun and worked great. I think it around $100. Don't buy the cordless one unless you buy an extra battery. Had that first and got tired of charging batteries constantly. Took it back and and got the corded one. Didn't want to use nails because later down the road didn't want to walk around hammering nails back in.

I have a Dewalt Quickdrive that I use for subflooring, but don't use it for decks. http://www.amazon.com/Quik-Drive-QD2.../dp/B00008URRZ It's great for putting screws in, but too large of a percentage of them are a PIA if you need to get them back out. The stardrive screws can easily be taken back out years down the road.

Jerry, use screws.

I'd use a framing nailer myself, but, only because I got a super price on hot galvanized nails.

A box of decent hot galvanized nails is going to run you upwards of $60/$65.

You can buy screws for about half that price.

Also - pretty much forget about reversing the pieces and plan on using new.
    If you can get away with reversing one, that's fine - but - in my experience, it's rare that you can.
    Most will have some sort of rot or damage underneath.

Since this is temporary, the Deckmate star drive screws are the way to go.
    With the ceramic coating they have, you can remove them a couple of years later w/out any issues and reuse them.

Edit because _ I may need to explain something...

I use galvanized nails on treated jobs because of labor/material costs.
    Customers just won't pay for a screwed in solution. They went a screwed in solution at nailed prices.

Screws are more labor intensive and they run more money for similar quantities.
    For my own house or for decks in rentals?
    I use screws all the way.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 04-28-2014 at 8:29 PM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon