Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for air assist compressor?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    Gast 72R Twin Cylinder as Rich said I think would be right, it gives 4cfm at 40 psi but a 50% duty cycle so will provide 2 cfm at 40 psi @ 50% duty.
    A receiver would be good to keep a stable pressure and level out the duty cycle.
    The Gast pump is rated for continuous duty, I don't use a storage tank. In fact, they recommend against starting the pump under pressure.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

The Air Brush compressors I looked at HF online seemed to be about .5 to .7 CFM, much lower that what you will need at 1.1. The other option is to buy a standard larger one as suggested and then use a good regulator to drop the PSI down to the 30 you need. Glad you waited and got the specs for the one required.
    Last edited by Bill George; 09-22-2014 at 3:38 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harman View Post
    The Gast pump is rated for continuous duty, I don't use a storage tank. In fact, they recommend against starting the pump under pressure.
    even better, that will keep it nice and cool if it only has to provide 1.1 cfm at pressure. Not many pumps like to start under load, hence the venting on most commercial tank systems to ensure the pump starts into an open line.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    The other option is to buy a standard larger one as suggested and then use a good regulator to drop the PSI down to the 30 you need. Glad you waited and got the specs for the one you need.
    Do NOT use a regulator unless it is with a compressor with storage tank and auto shutoff.
    Gerber Sabre 408

Quote Originally Posted by Kit Dumph View Post
    Ok guys, just got off with phone with epilog this morning. I need 1.1 CFM with 30psi max. Suggestions now?
    The one I linked above will meet your needs and it's quiet which is more than I can say for a lot of other compressors out there. Clean dry air is what you really want to add into your laser source and having something with the ability to deliver more than the suggested CFM is what you want when it comes to most materials. I've met a number of folks who've gone as far as putting in larger lines, openings, etc to get more air through the system.

Do NOT use a regulator unless it is with a compressor with storage tank and auto shutoff.
    I guess that was understood as the larger compressors come with tanks and pressure switches. Yes my big shop compressor is rated at 9 or 10 CFM (at least) and I run a oil filter and air drier, but somehow I think that's over kill for my laser : ).
    Last edited by Bill George; 09-22-2014 at 3:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    I guess that was understood as the larger compressors come with tanks and pressure switches.
    This discussion has mentioned all kinds of pumps and compressors. Not everyone reading this forum will know when a regulator is not appropriate. I assumed by "standard larger one" you meant a regular compressor like you would get at a borg but it could have been interpreted to mean a larger airbrush or aquarium pump type.
    Gerber Sabre 408

I have been using a Gast 71R for over two years now.

Great compressor!!! Not exactly on the lower price equation though. I think those start at 500 last time I checked the grainger catalog.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gregerson View Post
    Great compressor!!! Not exactly on the lower price equation though. I think those start at 500 last time I checked the grainger catalog.
    Yeah, Grainger is never cheap. I got it off eBay, brand new for $225. There is a 220V Gast 71R555 on eBay now for $249 - you should look up the model number to be sure of the exact specs - I'm sure it would work well though.
    Last edited by Rich Harman; 09-22-2014 at 8:01 PM.
    Gerber Sabre 408

Anything that blows air will work. Like, a "regular" air compressor, and a $20 pressure regulator?

Found this on Rabbit Laser's website, for $65, this is a bargain, and it's ALL you will ever need- I have a nearly identical one that came with my Triumph, it's quiet, it blows a ton of air at WO, and being a diaphragm pump, you can totally block the airflow while it's running and it doesn't care a bit...

Last edited by Kev Williams; 09-22-2014 at 9:52 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Anything that blows air will work. Like, a "regular" air compressor, and a $20 pressure regulator?

Found this on Rabbit Laser's website, for $65, this is a bargain, and it's ALL you will ever need-...
    It may be ALL some people will ever need, maybe. That type of pump is nowhere close to what I need.
    Gerber Sabre 408

That's an air pump Kev not a true compressor, while the FAD may be quite high (you can get the ACO series up to 500 litre versions (ACO480/550) ) the pressure is 7 PSI Max, for a western made laser that's like blowing over it by mouth and will achieve very little.

The air *pumps* are to reduce flame ups, NOT to improve quality of cut or efficiency.

Air (or compressed gas) is the *God* of all laser cutting, get it right and it makes 75% to 150% difference!

The only one on this thread that is suitable at semi reasonable cost is the one Rich posted or the larger tanked versions I posted.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Dave, Rich and everyone else- Thank you for all the input! The one epilog provides is a gast so I think I'll probably just go with that one.

So I am using the "air pump" that Kev posted. So is there an advantage to going with more pressure and CFM on a small Chinese laser like I have? I have a large shop compressor I could hook up via a tee and then install a good regulator.

I've never noticed air ever did anything for my cutting as far as improving the cut or efficiency. But then, I don't cut all that much stuff.

So back to my first statement, it puzzles me that very few people on this forum seems to own a regular air compressor...? I've never been without one, just too many uses for 'em. And as for lasering, with 125psi on tap, you WILL have enough air
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle