Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for air assist compressor?

Blog Entries
    Kev,

I may be wrong, but I think the concern with a shop style air compressor on a laser is the potential for spraying oil and/or water into the laser? Most of us with shop compressors could care less for what we use them for. But in the laser either of those things would be poor. Can anyone confirm or correct me on this please?

Not to mention these things tend to be very noise. The thought of my compressor running a lot over a long day is not pleasant. Doable, but not pleasant.

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

I just ran a test to see what the difference between the air pump that came with my LG500 laser and my big shop compressor. I ran the big compressor at 20, 30, and 40 psi and what ever the pump runs and the pump did the deepest cut into 3/4 thick acrylic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I just ran a test to see what the difference between the air pump that came with my LG500 laser and my big shop compressor. I ran the big compressor at 20, 30, and 40 psi and what ever the pump runs and the pump did the deepest cut into 3/4 thick acrylic.
    You mean the little diaphragm pump pictured above for a mere $65 did as well (or better) as one with more CFM and PSI set at 30 Psi? I was going to try more or less the same thing, but you saved me the trouble.

Air compressors in general, I have had one type or another all my life. I even carry a little one in my truck that works slick off 12 volts and will pump up a car or truck (pickup) tire just fine.

My shop air compressor has filters and an refrigerated air drier, was used at one time to supply air to a CNC plasma cutter.
    With the 60 gallon tank, I doubt if the compressor would cycle on very often.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

That is what I am saying I have a 60 gallon 5 hp unit that I bought new from an Auto paint supplier and the little pump did just a little better I was going to try 45 PIS but the hose blew off the laser.

Hi, I'm new in the forum and new with a laser machine too, I'm also looking for a compressor but I'm a little lost, my 100W laser came with an aquarium compressor which gives 70 l/min at .035 MPa, I'm trying to remove the burning when cutting 3mm MDF and tried with my shop compressor and the difference was huge, I could cut faster and with no burning, so now I'm looking to purchase a compressor for the machine but I'm not sure if I need more pressure, more air or both, I was looking a bigger version of my current aquarium compressor, but those give a lot more l/min at almost the same pressure, would something like this work? any recommendations for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    What was the difference in depth? I've never noticed any difference in ability to cut using different pressures. I know that my Gast pump is far better than an aquarium pump for cutting. With my setup the air assist keeps flames from occurring on the bottom side as well as the top - the aquarium pump can't do that.

There are so many variables in play. How is the air delivered? Coaxially through a nozzle, or from a separate tube aimed at the cut point? How far from the surface, how big is the nozzle? How long was the hose coming from your compressor?
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Quote Originally Posted by Juan de Dios View Post
    Hi, I'm new in the forum and new with a laser machine too, I'm also looking for a compressor but I'm a little lost, my 100W laser came with an aquarium compressor which gives 70 l/min at .035 MPa, I'm trying to remove the burning when cutting 3mm MDF and tried with my shop compressor and the difference was huge, I could cut faster and with no burning, so now I'm looking to purchase a compressor for the machine but I'm not sure if I need more pressure, more air or both, I was looking a bigger version of my current aquarium compressor, but those give a lot more l/min at almost the same pressure, would something like this work? any recommendations for this?
    Dump the Aquarium one, get this http://www.homedepot.com/p/Californi...FZKBfgodmJIAfg

DSCF2016.jpg

Teat from baby bottle with 1.5mm hole punched in it, move air closer to job and controls laminar flow

Effect on MDF

DSCF2013.jpg

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    DSCF2016.jpg

Teat from baby bottle with 1.5mm hole punched in it, move air closer to job and controls laminar flow

Effect on MDF

DSCF2013.jpg

cheers

Dave
    You sound like a happy man. Glad you figured out one of the better tricks to hacking thee laser.

Quote Originally Posted by David Somers View Post
    Kev,

I may be wrong, but I think the concern with a shop style air compressor on a laser is the potential for spraying oil and/or water into the laser? Most of us with shop compressors could care less for what we use them for. But in the laser either of those things would be poor. Can anyone confirm or correct me on this please?

Not to mention these things tend to be very noise. The thought of my compressor running a lot over a long day is not pleasant. Doable, but not pleasant.

Dave
    Depends on your shop as to whether you feel the need to have a big compressor. I couldn't live without a compressor. My dad's ALWAYS had one, which means I've always had one. Several, actually. Lots of air powered tools available for the average joe too. Air-over hydraulic jacks, impact wrenches, air-ratchets, chisels, drills, sanders, grinders, cutoff saws, buffers, sandblasters...

As for the oil/water thing, a water trap and/or an air dryer fixes that problem.

As for noise, our big Coleman is BIG, and NOISY- But, it's outside in an insulated plastic 4x6 shed, right next to the house, right under our bedroom window. We can barely hear it at 3 in the morning. It's not far from the neighbors's bedroom windows either, they never hear it. You can hear it if you're outside within 30' of it, but any farther away you actually have to listen for it, or you won't notice it. Our big HF dust collector that I use as an engraving chip vacuum is in the same shed, can't hear it either..
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 09-27-2014 at 1:21 AM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gregerson View Post
    You sound like a happy man. Glad you figured out one of the better tricks to hacking thee laser.
    It was obvious when I looked at my bigger metal cutters Kev, they have follow heads that retract between cut lines and far smaller exit holes (down to 0.3mm) it also reduced the amount of air I had to pump through the system

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Kevin,
    SO have you had any issues using an full size air compressor? I have a Bostitch 2.0HP\6.0 gal that I was thinking about using with a Husky Compressor filter to capture any moisture. The compressor already has a regular built into the unit so I can control the pressure with out any issues. It maybe a little noise but I can save a few bucks by using what I have.

Any thoughts from other.
    Universal 50w VLS350
    Unviersal 1 - Touch
    Corel Draw - 6x

"You are only limited by your creativity and desire to create."

I have a compressor like the one linked in post #4. It is inadequate for cutting plywood. I get much better cuts with my 5 hp shop compressor hooked to the laser. I have no idea how many CFM my laser head uses but I run 30 psi through the head. I like the baby bottle teat idea. I suppose the laser cuts the hole?

Adrian

Hey Bruce,

I'm not familiar with the compressor you are on about but the biggest problem is duty rating, if it's a direct drive they are usually 50% duty although the air requirement of ULS machines is far far less than far eastern types.

I have a few scribbles for an air dryer here but I'll PM you a link as they are hosted on my own web site and posting would be outside of the rules.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Page View Post
    I have a compressor like the one linked in post #4. It is inadequate for cutting plywood. I get much better cuts with my 5 hp shop compressor hooked to the laser. I have no idea how many CFM my laser head uses but I run 30 psi through the head. I like the baby bottle teat idea. I suppose the laser cuts the hole?

Adrian
    I use a 2mm hole punch first on the teat to prevent melted silicone being blown back onto the lens Adi, works well but DON'T use it for engraving, it blows the much straight back on to the surface

cheers

Dave
    You did what !