Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for air assist compressor?

Recommendations for air assist compressor?

Hello all!

I have an Epilog Mini 24 (60 watt) machine arriving tomorrow and I still haven't bought a compressor for the air assist. I know the rep mentioned a $300 "airbrush compressor" but I don't have any more details and I'd love to pick up something ASAP. Any specific brand and model recommendations? Thank you!

I plan to purchase this one for $120 in about a month or so when I pull trigger on laser purchase. Obviously I can't vouch for its performance yet. However, it is the big brother of one Dee Gallo suggested in an earlier thread and numerous people seemed to like. It is 1/5 hp and slightly larger CFM rating. Even the bigger brother is only 47 db (same as the smaller one) which is a really quite noise level.
    VLS4.60 30W

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Espy View Post
    I plan to purchase this one for $120 in about a month or so when I pull trigger on laser purchase. Obviously I can't vouch for its performance yet. However, it is the big brother of one Dee Gallo suggested in an earlier thread and numerous people seemed to like. It is 1/5 hp and slightly larger CFM rating. Even the bigger brother is only 47 db (same as the smaller one) which is a really quite noise level.
    Thank you. I had just pulled the trigger and ordered this one based on an old thread here. It'll arrive tomorrow and at least get me by temporarily. I'll be sure and post about how much I like or dislike it for use with the laser.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bronleewe View Post
    Thank you. I had just pulled the trigger and ordered this one based on an old thread here. It'll arrive tomorrow and at least get me by temporarily. I'll be sure and post about how much I like or dislike it for use with the laser.
    Thats the one I have and it works very well. I have a 5hp 80 gal unit for when I need a lot of air.

Can I get an update on this pump? How do you regulate psi coming out or even tell, without adding an inline gauge? I have a helix inbound and am looking at pumps.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit Dumph View Post
    Can I get an update on this pump? How do you regulate psi coming out or even tell, without adding an inline gauge? I have a helix inbound and am looking at pumps.
    Regulator.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Blog Entries
    John,

I don't have a laser yet so cant speak about vacuum pumps there. But i do use a pump for a vacuum chuck when i turn wood on a wood lathe. Obviously, with a bowl spinning at least at several. Hundred RPMs i need to know that my vacuum is adequate to hold the piece. So i do use an inline pressure guage. I have a simple ball valve to regulate the pressure.

I could be all wrong, but it seems like something you would want on your laser vac table as well? At least if you have a pressure gauge you can see if your vacuum is dropping to the point where it will be ineffective, and you could pause the laser and correct the problem before you started damaging pieces. This is a total guess on my part though. An inline gauge, valve, and a set of filters for dust would not cost much at all. With parts available at Home Depot in the aisle with the air compressors.

Is my thinking off on this everyone? Am i being a worry wort since i am used to spinning bowls?

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Moshinsky View Post
    Regulator.
    I don't think a regulator is the right thing to use. A regulator will restrict the flow causing the pressure to build on the pump side, so would a ball valve. I use a tee with a gage, ball valve, and dump hose.

The hookup goes like this; pump>hose>tee>ball valve>open ended hose. Off the tee: >another tee (with gage)> hose to laser.

With the ball valve fully open nearly all the air gets dumped via the dump hose. As you close the valve more pressure goes to the laser. With the ball valve fully closed, max pressure goes to the air assist. With this system, the pump never gets overloaded.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Anyone try this one out yet? Seems you might cut down on some of the heat and abuse on the pump with the tank. Two year warrant isn't half bad either... Amazon.

Have a look at the duty cycle on whatever compressor you choose, CFM is rarely free air, it's cylinder displacement, FAD (Free Air Delivered) will be a smaller figure at a given pressure.
    Air brush compressors are designed to be used in an open system, if the air on your machine has an on/off as it runs you risk overheating it and burning it out.

cheers

Dave

Stuff like these are good

http://szdental.en.ec21.com/Products--7194930.html
    Last edited by Dave Sheldrake; 09-20-2014 at 5:02 PM.
    You did what !

Those are all pretty big, what about this little guy from harbor freight? http://www.harborfreight.com/16-hors...329-10428.html

So how much CFM and PSI does one need?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I was told 30 psi by the epilog rep.

I have been using a Gast 71R for over two years now.

Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Blog Entries
    Hey Rich,

Thar is actually the way mine is rigged. There is always full flow to the pump, just not to the vacuum chuck.
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.