Thread: Another Dust Collector Question

Another Dust Collector Question

Assuming you have the space and electrical capacity, is there such a thing as too big of a system?
    I have approx 50 feet of 5" duct connected to a 24" planer, a 20" jointer, a shaper, a band saw and a table saw. Currently this is hooked to a 2 hp single stage. On another 2 hp single stage I have approx 50 feet of 4" duct connected to another table saw, a 6" jointer, a miter saw and a router table.
    As it stands, the first ststem is pretty much maxed out and has a hard time keeping up with the planer. The second system works ok. Idealy I'd have 1 system that encompasses the whole mess.
    There's a 15 horse Torrit and a 20 horse single stage for sale locally and I'm considering one of them.
    Thanks,
    Paul

You might consider the amount of electricity it's gonna take to power that baby, but I'm sure you would have enough cfm's lol..... Also something to consider, your 5" pipe probably would need to be sized up a couple inches to maximize the whole system. Probably would have to leave all your ports open as well. But it does leave room for a lot of expansion.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

I didn't see a sander on your list. The sander is hardest to collect from. My 15" planer is easy, not sure about the big one you have. My 2hp system works much better since I took it down and re-routed it, but I also increased the opening sizes on my sanders. My pipe is all 6", and found I had a leak where the impeller fastens to the cyclone. Used a bead of silicone to seal it, took it apart and put between the joints, but now my system is putting most of the sanding dust in my drum. Happy camper am I.

Thanks for the replies. I realize it's kind of a stupid question, and I also realize that I'll have to redo all my ductwork. And a sander is on my list.
    I've been wanting to upgrade my dc for a while now, and these 2 systems came up on craigslist for good prices.
    I think I'll hold off and see if something in the 5-10 hp range comes up. Maybe in this case I'm better off buying new. Kind of hard to swallow considering my whole shop is clist, SMC and vintage machinery finds...
    Thanks,
    Paul

One way to look at it for me would be,how "marketable" are the system/s you're replacing.For us,the old stuff needs to be gone.Best of luck with your decision.

These are the things I would be concerned about with respect to "too big of a DC system"
    1. Electrical requirements
    2. Floor space
    3. Height restrictions
    4. Adequate make-up air and associated utility costs for conditioning it (may not be applicable)
    5. Minimizing starts/stops - can cost a little more on power, plus if the motor gets damaged, its more costly. These systems are made to run all day.

If the Torit is a cyclone/fan/filter system, I think I would go with it. You mention a "single-stage" collector, is this a baghouse or a larger version of the home-shop "single stage" collectors? If it is a baghouse, it would need a properly designed inlet or I would be concerned about it drowning in shavings with the 24" planer. If it is a larger version of the home-shop collectors, then it should handle it, but emptying the material is more of a pain.

To see the full benefit of either one, you most likely would need to redo your duct system. You will probably be able to run multiple machines at the same time in which case, you want a tapered system to maintain duct velocity and mimimize pressure drop/abrasion. Not sure if you can run all of your machines at the same time, maybe. If not, you could split the machines into a couple of groups and run one group at a time.

Mike

Thanks for the insight, Mike.
    I'm a one man shop at this time. The most I ever see in my shop is me and a helper, so there's never multiple machines running at once. These two just came up on the used market locally and I wanted to get some opinions on wether they're feasible.
    Just for giggles, here's the 20 horse: http://southjersey.craigslist.org/tls/4443854486.html Looks like a big home shop unit to me. And you're right, emptying the bags is a pia. The Torit is a cyclone.
    I've come to the conclusion that 5 to 7-1/2 hp should be more than enough for anything I'm likely to do in my shop. I'm going to keep looking, but will probably end up getting a new system.
    And Brian, good point about selling the old ones. Once I upgrade I certainly don't want them hanging around.

Paul

Paul,to somewhat contradict myself.........There are reasons to keep certain equipment.For instance,I'm looking for a small single stage "bagger" to go on our XY vert panel saw.Using a shop vac presently,and it works fine.....except the floor space.If we had a bagger we'd mount it up over/behind the unit.And theres also the case of making a smallish spraybooth with a bagger(losing the bag of course).My initial response was more "in general".......in the shop,realestate is WAY to valuable to have unused "junk" sitting around.It's a shop,it pays it's way or it's out of here,haha.