Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New wood, possible bench top, what Plane?

New wood, possible bench top, what Plane?

I am still stuck about what plane to get - I have an old, small block plane that works very well for most of what I've needed (mostly edge trimming), and I've bought the sandpaper for sharpening but haven't used it on my block plane yet. I have another "Junk" bench plane that I can't seem to tune and get working no matter what I do - actually am glad I have it so I can figure things out without ruining anything good. So, to my question, I have a piece of barn wood that was given to me - 1 7/8" x 5 5/8", 8' long - with an opportunity to get more possibly. I got it to use to top off our rock fireplace mantel if we ever get funds to get it built -- but I've been staring at this piece of perfectly straight old wood wondering what it is and what's hidden inside and also thinking of the woodworking bench I don't have... Here are some pix of the wood.
    IMG_2919.jpgIMG_2921.jpgIMG_2923.JPGIMG_2924.jpg
    The flash kindof washed out the color a little bit - don't know what kind of wood? Would this make a good benchtop? What kind of plane would I use to get it from it's current semi-rough state to pristineness (well, as close as a klutz like me can come to pristine). Thanks! dawn v

Find yourself a stanley 5.

Build yourself a stop on the floor or make a temporary bench out of a solid core door and butt it against a wall. The learning curve will be steep at first, but less so as you go along.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Find yourself a stanley 5.
    There's one on Amazon for $65 (Stanley 12-905 14-Inch No.5 Contractor Grade Smooth Bottom Bench Plane), there's also a "Sweetheart" Stanley #5 on eBay for $98.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Build yourself a stop on the floor or make a temporary bench out of a solid core door and butt it against a wall. The learning curve will be steep at first, but less so as you go along.
    There was a solid old MDF desk (2 1/2" thick top) at ReStore for cheap this weekend, I might go back and pick it up as an in-between - I'm guessing my workbench build will be slow...

The desk would probably work out real well. You could just tack on a thin strip at the end for a planing stop.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Blog Entries
    Dawn,

Unfortunately it is most of a day's drive back and forth between us. Otherwise I would be happy to help with the bench plane you have.

If you do ever come up this way get in touch if you would like to get together on that.

For cleaning up a lot of rough wood to glue up as a lamination you might like something a bit larger than a #5. A #6 is fairly versatile.

It has been a few years since I have visited the antique and second hand stores along the Oregon coast. There were a few that turned up a few good things for me.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I bet that wood is Douglas fir. If so, it is a little softer than what one would typically want for a bench but it should work just fine.

A good place in Oregon to get a good plane is Jon Zimmers. I've bought several items from him and they all were really good quality for the price.
    http://jonzimmersantiquetools.com/ I'm not affiliated, just a satisfied customer.

You might look into a beam bench design to start with. These are used by Japanese wood workers. They are basically like the board you have only
    they are able to be mounted in a slight incline. The incline aids in easing the amount of sweat you have to produce whilst planing.
    You also dove tail cross wise near the end of the plank for a plane stop. Easy to keep flat and square. Not much help if you want to use it as an assembly
    table but for making wood furniture and the like, they were used for many centuries with success.

Just an idea.
    Last edited by Terry Beadle; 04-29-2014 at 12:30 PM. Reason: spelling typo

That is definitely Doug fir you have there. Here in Oregon it was the wood of choice for most construction projects many years ago. I used to have an above ground pool with a wide deck built all the way around it. The base was Doug fir and some Port Orford cedar, the top was all old growth Redwood. After the pool was taken out the Redwood became another deck and walkway. The Doug fir was used under that deck as well as becoming the base of my work bench. Beautiful straight grained old growth wood but watch out for splinters!

Dave P

If you feel comfortable with the plane tuning you've done, I don't see a reason to spend more than $40-60 on a vintage 5 or 6. At that price point you shouldn't need more than an hour to tune it up for work. Check your local antique stores, you might get lucky.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

I just want to add my 2c in regards to Jon Zimmers Antique Tools since I don't recall seeing him mentioned here before. I haven't had a bad experience yet buying tools from him. I bought my first rip saw from him and he gets a lot of his saws sharpened by Mike Wenzloff. If you are looking for affordable tools and don't want to bother with yard sales he is one to keep in mind. Just a happy customer, no relation (that I know of).

Quote Originally Posted by James Conrad View Post
    If you feel comfortable with the plane tuning you've done, I don't see a reason to spend more than $40-60 on a vintage 5 or 6. At that price point you shouldn't need more than an hour to tune it up for work. Check your local antique stores, you might get lucky.
    Unfortunately, I'm not comfortable with it (the tuning) yet. Also, I'm never quite sure what I'm looking at when I see planes at the local antique stores. I feel like I need to start with something I'm sure is good (within budget) and needs very little initial tuning. I know that I also need to make myself practice until I get comfortable so I can maintain whatever I get.

I got confirmation that I can get more of the wood, so I'm also going to need to be practicing using the plane(s) for that type of work.

I don't have a horse in this race either... maybe Zimmers has cheaper planes other than what is listed on his site, but $90-125 for a 5 or 6 that will still need some work is high for pretty common plane sizes, maybe what he is offering has some rarity, hard to tell from the site... Perhaps look up Tom Bussey, I think he goes by Table Saw Tom, he tunes up, flat grinds and resales vintage planes for what seems like reasonable prices. I believe folks on here have discussed his work, again I don't have any relation to either.

Or, go new with something that works out of the box from Lie-Nielsen or Lee Valley. Woodriver is another option, cheapest for sure. All depends on budget, if you want to tune a plane or just get right to work.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

Ok, looking at new Bench Planes...

Someone on this forum (Dec 2013 beginner plane thread) recommended this #62 plane if you're only going to have one... http://www.lie-nielsen.com/low-angle...le-jack-plane/ - it's $245

Veritas has a similar low-angle jack plane (62 1/2) for $239 http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...08&cat=1,41182

Stanley has a new series "Sweetheart" that has gotten pretty good reviews - anyone familiar with it? Rockler has their low-angle Jack plane for $160 http://www.rockler.com/stanley-sweet...gle-jack-plane

I don't find a similar Woodriver plane... Would I be going the right direction looking at these "versatile" low-angle bench/jack planes?

Thanks!

dawn v

Blog Entries
    When someone else is spending your money, cost is seldom an issue.

I have the #62 and love it for shooting end grain. My old Stanley/Bailey bench planes are my preferred users for most other work.

The performance isn't going to be a whole lot different cleaning up and preparing "old barn wood" with a bevel up plane compared to a bevel down plane. It wasn't clear if this is reclaimed or just old. When working reclaimed wood I want to use my junkers just incase there is a nail or two.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    When someone else is spending your money, cost is seldom an issue.

I have the #62 and love it for shooting end grain. My old Stanley/Bailey bench planes are my preferred users for most other work.

The performance isn't going to be a whole lot different cleaning up and preparing "old barn wood" with a bevel up plane compared to a bevel down plane. It wasn't clear if this is reclaimed or just old. When working reclaimed wood I want to use my junkers just incase there is a nail or two.

jtk
    Thanks that's a very helpful comment - I'll look at the other ones (5's and 6's) and see what I can come up with. This particular wood is "just old", but most of my other wood is reclaimed barn wood -- this wood was also from the same barn but unattached to anything. I try to remove the nails but you're right they can be hidden. I picked up a Stanley #4 for a couple of dollars yesterday, a "new" style but probably better than that other one I found - having better luck honing its blade anyway, but it didn't need nearly the work.