Thread: How to find shop space?

How to find shop space?

Hello!

I currently use my garage as a work space. I'm just a hobbyist so I'm not trying to setup a business or anything. My girlfriend and I are moving from a big 2200 sq ft house to a 1000 sq ft apt. This means I need to put my woodworking tools in storage or find a local workshop for rent that I can store some stuff in as well as use as a shop.

Does anyone have suggestions for finding workshop space to rent? I will be in the North Wales area of Pennsylvania. I've been searching craigslist for spaces but it's tricky unless I want to drive into Philly(I don't) every time I want to work.

Search for an industrial park, not usually very inspiring space, but could work for you. Try a local newspaper or just go for a drive around industrial areas.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

Very difficult.

Most folks that are in the business of renting space for shop are going to be offering commercial space. Probably much larger and more expensive than you'd justify. And some just will not rent to woodworkers, sighting fire insurance/risk. There has been some like minded people getting together and collectively renting space, but this will usually be in a metro area and then you'd have shop mates.

I'd suggest finding an apartment that has its own garage or private basement.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Only way I've ever seen someone have a garage shop that is not where they live, is to buy a rental and rent the house out without the garage, which you keep for yourself. Best to get a property with a rear alley with the building in back, to give you access where someone is not parking in front of your garage.

Search your local craigs list for parking/storage rental. Sometimes landlords will garages on that go with multi-unit houses that they rent separately from the house. A little crazier idea is to look around for someone who is just getting into wood working who might have the space, but not the tools - maybe you could work out an arrangement of free storage of your tools for free use of them.

I think the hard part about renting a garage would be the electrical. Both in the how to manage the monthly/calcuate cost & supply as most garages maybe a single 110 line.