Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Painting new raw kitchen cabinets

I have finished lots of cabinets, kitchen and otherwise.

I have used just about every technique known to man to paint, at some time or another. Well, I haven't powder coated any cabinets yet…

I do achieve professional results in a garage. However, doing this, I have to work around the temperature, the humidity, the love-bug season, the wind, my work schedule, space restrictions, lighting inadequacies, other projects, and probably other variables. It can be frustrating, but it's very doable.

I prefer to spray, and will go to great lengths to spray, but I have rolled and brushed oil based enamel and high quality acrylics. When brushing or rolling, I only use sandable finishes to compensate for my lack of skill in this area.

Spraying cabinets, I feel, is pretty easy, (but still a lot of work - rewarding work), as long as you have the right spray setup. For instance, you don't want a gravity fed gun, and you don't want a pot attached to the gun. These both limit your movements when spraying inside a cabinet and you will bump into things (things = delicate wood corners and wet surfaces). A remote pot is a must, even if your hoses are only 4' long.

Caulk your joinery. I know, I know - you do precision work and your joints are perfectly tight. I don't care - caulk them anyway. Otherwise, you will see a black line. Promise. Learn to caulk the finest line you can. It pays off in spades.

Prime and sand. And maybe do it again. Very important. If you are new to spraying - priming is great practice for applying a finish coat.

Make sure your gun is as close to factory clean (on the innards) as you can get. Learn how to disassemble and clean your gun before you use it for the first time.

Don't rush a finish. If you only have 30 minutes to allow between coats, then buy materials that are ready to re-coat in 30 minutes.

My free advice to you.

Todd

From a pro painter, what Todd just wrote is sage advice.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

FYI, if you decide to use a paint pressure tank, good used ones are often available on eBay. I bought an excellent Binks SG-2 2 quart pot for ~$125.00.

Thanks for all the good advice from everyone. This thread has really been beneficial in regard to materials, finish type, techniques, cost, etc. This is exactly what a forum should do.