Thread: Fun With Dovetail Boxes.

Fun With Dovetail Boxes.

Hey Folks! Here's some boxes I've made for practice in making dovetail joints and a cherry vessel.
    These are made from a mixture of woods. Some that I've had milled and some from lumber yard.

Wood's used:
    White ash
    Hickory
    Sycamore
    Walnut
    American beech
    German beech
    Sweet gum
    Black locust
    Maple
    DSCN2450.jpg
    And a thanks goes to Derek Cohen for his wooden hinge making tutorial on his website.
    DSCN2446.jpg

Very nice work Cody. I like the way the grain flows around the boxes and the contrasty / figured lids are a nice touch.

Those are nice looking boxes Cody.I also like little boxes , be careful soon you may find so many around the house you won't be able to swing a cat around by the tail without hitting one.

Blog Entries
    Very nice work! Thematically connected yet individually unique.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Blog Entries
    Very cool Cody - great way to feature some beautiful wood. They look like they would be hard not to pick up!

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Mike

Love the boxes, and the workbench top looks pretty spiff to. What species did you use for your bench top?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    ... you won't be able to swing a cat around by the tail without hitting one.
    "...if that's your idea of a good time," to paraphrase Groucho.

Thank you all for the compliments on the boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    Love the boxes, and the workbench top looks pretty spiff to. What species did you use for your bench top?
    Joe the bench is German Beech. The build is here if you haven't seen it. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...irst-Workbench

Hey everyone. I haven't posted a project in a while and wanted to add another box to this thread rather than starting another. Thought it would be nice to watch someone's work evolve.
    I needed to knock the rust off and wanted to push my limits with small joints and learn a new one(full blind dovetail). Wasn't planning on this being a build-along so I started with picks after all the joints were roughed out. I've left out quite a few steps of the process so here is just a few pics and brief summary of process.

The box body, lid, and floor is post oak. The top is spalted sweet gum. The base and hinge is an exotic. Not sure what species.
    Finish is brushing lacquer sanded with 400 between coats followed by spray can for a smooth slick finish.

Parts and pieces. Router plane used to dado for top and floor. Top is done with plow plane.
    DSCN3150.jpgDSCN3152.jpgDSCN3153.jpg
    Everything fit. Base glued up. The steps/rabbits on the hinge made with shoulder plane. Assortment of files used to shape hinge.
    DSCN3154.jpgDSCN3155.jpgDSCN3157.jpg
    Hinge pins made from 1/8" brazing rod with flux cleaned off.
    DSCN3159.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cody Armstrong; 10-19-2016 at 11:48 AM.

Can't work out how to remove the above attached thumbnail but anyway. Hinge being glued on.

Finishing process. The floor and top are prefinished before assembly to prevent wood movement from tearing finish at joints.
    DSCN3163.jpgDSCN3165.jpg The base is glued and pegged. Touch up done with brush.

I'll admit the full blind tails were a challenge to say the least. Very glad I learned how to make them.
    Overall I'm happy with the finished piece. Had a few tails that didn't meet my standard.
    The camera is throwing a glare on the hinge that makes it appear to have white streaks on it.

DSCN3167.jpgDSCN3169.jpgDSCN3170.jpg

Hey all. This is my latest finished piece. A jewelry or knickknack box. Design critique is welcome and needed. Joinery is mortise and tenon. A mixture of hand tools and machines used. Brusso 95* stop hinges installed on lid.

All local woods used from trees I've had milled except for drawer pulls: White Oak box body, legs, and frame. Southern Cherry drawer sides and ring tray. Maple panels, drawer fronts and top. White Ash floors. Unknown exotic used for pulls.
    Thanks for looking.

Finish= Minwax lacquer brushed on. Sanded with 400 grit paper and finished with spray.

Height=16"
    Width=9 1/2"
    Depth=8"

DSCN3175.jpgDSCN3179.jpg
    DSCN3176.jpgDSCN3177.jpgDSCN3178.jpg
    DSCN3180.jpgDSCN3181.jpgDSCN3182.jpg
    Last edited by Cody Armstrong; 02-22-2017 at 10:50 AM.