Thread: Bandsaw Old Iron Dust Collection: 2 non invasive solutions

Bandsaw Old Iron Dust Collection: 2 non invasive solutions

Hi all,
    No real reason for the post other than I had to come up with something that didn't require cutting into the Bandsaw and wanted to share with others a couple of ideas on what can be done with available scraps of material. I did some looking on the web and didn't find much that was appealing to make so I improvised.

Both solutions appear to work exceptionally well and can be built very quickly. I should have done this much sooner. Night and day difference in the amount of dust thrown into the shop. They get nearly all of the dust generated. very little is escaping in both designs. However I do believe that the design for the 2nd bandsaw works a bit better and is by far much easier to install and take off. Only real drawback is that neither solution really works when tilting the table, which I have yet to do anyway so not that big of deal and I get most of the dust before it gets sucked into the lower wheel. I'll most likely replicate the Bandsaw #2 solution on Bandsaw #1.

Bandsaw 1: 1967 Rockwell Delta, 14" 1/2hp, Restored saw to working condition, I made a bent laminated belt cover just need to install it , setup for resawing
    Dust collection solution: Galv. metal, cut and folded into a partial box, top and back of box are open to collect the dust. two mounting points a tab that slides between the lower door knob and the door. a strap that connects to a mounting bolt on the table. Used 4" Blast gate to interface to ducting.
    IMG_2053.jpgIMG_2041.jpgIMG_2042.jpg

Bandsaw 2: 1948 Delta, 14" 1/4 hp, Mostly restored, still needs a belt cover, setup with 3/16ths blade for curve cutting.
    Dust collection solution: scraps of plywood cut to shapes that allow it to friction fit between the table and the lower wheel cover. mounted at an angle with a single metal tab that slides between the lower door knob, similar to bandsaw #1. Used 4" 45deg flush mount port.
    IMG_2052.jpgIMG_2051.jpgIMG_2047.jpg

Feel free to critique and offer some simpler solutions. My main goal was to do something that didn't require cutting up the Bandsaw itself. Total cost in each case <$4 and can probably be done even cheaper.

Randy...

Nice! I like both solutions, the second looks cleaner. I need to do something similar on my old Crescent.
    Thanks for the ideas.
    Paul

Great job, thanks for the details.

Randy,
    i have that same 1948 bandsaw. What an amazing saw. Looking at your DC solution I see the metal tab that is held in place the the lower door knob. How we'll does it work? I thank you for the picture because I plan on using your design.
    Scott