Thread: Pasting screen shot image from the clipboard.

Blog Entries

Pasting screen shot image from the clipboard.

Today I was trying to explain something in a post and thought a small screen shot image would be helpful. So I took a screen shot, added some circles and arrows, and copied that to the clipboard. I then tried to paste it into the text box of my post. It showed up while I was editing it, but disappeared when it was posted to the thread. Is there some way I can place an image from the clipboard without having to save it to a file first?

BTW: I searched the Tech Support forum for an answer, but could not find one.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Im confused.

If you take a screenshot and then annotate it wouldn't you have to save a copy to have the annotations appear? Or are you annotating first?
    Last edited by Judson Green; 05-01-2014 at 4:38 PM.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Today I was trying to explain something in a post and thought a small screen shot image would be helpful. So I took a screen shot, added some circles and arrows, and copied that to the clipboard. I then tried to paste it into the text box of my post. It showed up while I was editing it, but disappeared when it was posted to the thread. Is there some way I can place an image from the clipboard without having to save it to a file first?

BTW: I searched the Tech Support forum for an answer, but could not find one.
    I have not found a way. I use Irfanview, crop or resize as needed, and save to a general purpose WW directory. That way, whenever I do insert an image, the SMC editor goes to the correct directory. Occasionally I need to re-post a picture, usually after adding a text box or cropping, and that also works out as pretty easy.

Unfortunately I have not figured out how to add circles or boxes in Irfanview.

FWIW, I don't visit many of the SMC forums. I found this post through your Profile page. First you lured me into checking out your Norm router box,* then that page lured me into viewing 34 pictures of your shop. Which I found exceedingly impressive - 6" OH DC, very nice air plumbing, thoughtful details everywhere. Except "desk" - the first word I saw when I viewed your floor plan. Your entire main shop is an impressive man cave and you have isolated the biggest semi-constant noise-makers in a side room. Smiling, I say that I would not put my desk in that side room.

* I feel like I jilted Norm! I built a router table based on Fine Woodworking's Ultimate Router Table design. Essentially, it's like most designs except it includes a shop vacuum inside the box, activated by the paddle switch that turns on the router. It works better for my shop.
    Doug, the "Wood Loon"
    Acton, MA

72, slow road cyclist, woodworking dabbler, tool junkie , and
    bonsai enthusiast.
    Now, if I could just stay focused longer than a few weeks...

I take a screen shot, then open MS paint and hit paste from the menu.
    Do my editing such as add arrows and circles, then save it as a jpeg and then upload the jpeg to here. Sounds like a lot but only takes a couple of mins to do.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    You will have to save the image as a JPG or other attachable format and attach it like any other photo. No pasting allowed since I've been here. You can load the picture into your albums and paste in a link. For example, here a pic linked from my Album under my profile:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...5&d=1295827350

And here is the same URL used with the "Insert Image" button (third from the right on the tool bar above the post you are making when in edit mode).

"A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Judson Green View Post
    Im confused.

If you take a screenshot and then annotate it wouldn't you have to save a copy to have the annotations appear? Or are you annotating first?
    I use a program called Snagit that will take a screenshot, let me annotate it, and then save it to the clipboard... or a file if I want to, but most of time I don't want to, I just want to paste it into the text of an email or a FORUM POST! and be done with it.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 05-01-2014 at 6:20 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries
    Wow, what a bummer! I guess I had never tried doing that before, even though it is a very common thing for me to do. I do that all the time in emails. It just seems like such a hassle to save it to a file first, then having to upload it. Not to mention needing to delete the file after I upload it. I suppose it is not so bad when you already have a picture or something like that, but for just a screen shot, what a PITA!
    I probably won't be including many screen shots in my posts.
    Larry J Browning

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hobkirk View Post
    I have not found a way. I use Irfanview, crop or resize as needed, and save to a general purpose WW directory. That way, whenever I do insert an image, the SMC editor goes to the correct directory. Occasionally I need to re-post a picture, usually after adding a text box or cropping, and that also works out as pretty easy.

Unfortunately I have not figured out how to add circles or boxes in Irfanview.

FWIW, I don't visit many of the SMC forums. I found this post through your Profile page. First you lured me into checking out your Norm router box,* then that page lured me into viewing 34 pictures of your shop. Which I found exceedingly impressive - 6" OH DC, very nice air plumbing, thoughtful details everywhere. Except "desk" - the first word I saw when I viewed your floor plan. Your entire main shop is an impressive man cave and you have isolated the biggest semi-constant noise-makers in a side room. Smiling, I say that I would not put my desk in that side room.

* I feel like I jilted Norm! I built a router table based on Fine Woodworking's Ultimate Router Table design. Essentially, it's like most designs except it includes a shop vacuum inside the box, activated by the paddle switch that turns on the router. It works better for my shop.
    Doug,
    Thanks for looking! It took me many days to design the layout, and I have enjoyed using it a lot. The desk is in there, but I never sit at it. It belonged to my wife's aunt who passed away several years ago. They were going to take it to the dump, so I salvaged it. I keep plans, tool manuals, and paper work in it. I also stack all sorts of junk on it.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 05-01-2014 at 6:21 PM.
    Larry J Browning

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    You will have to save the image as a JPG or other attachable format and attach it like any other photo. No pasting allowed since I've been here. You can load the picture into your albums and paste in a link. For example, here a pic linked from my Album under my profile:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...5&d=1295827350

And here is the same URL used with the "Insert Image" button (third from the right on the tool bar above the post you are making when in edit mode).

Oh, I know how to do all that stuff Glenn, I was just surprised when I couldn't do a simple paste from the clipboard.
    Larry J Browning

It's not really an SMC limitation - it's a browser thing. Rich pasting doesn't work real well in most browsers without some kind of plugin (like flash). It's something I wish was solved, but it's kind of a tricky thing to pull off since it ultimately has to end up as a file somewhere in order for the web server to serve it up to viewers. Some day, maybe. Fingers crossed!
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Naturally, after a quick googling, it seems the tide has finally begun to shift ... check out a place like this:

http://snag.gy/

That at least spares you having to save to a file yourself, eh?

Edit: Though, i see it does use flash and possibly a java applet to pull it off. Dang. Close!
    Last edited by Jason Beam; 05-01-2014 at 8:49 PM.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

You have to save it as an image file first. Then you can input it to a message.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Oh, I know how to do all that stuff Glenn, I was just surprised when I couldn't do a simple paste from the clipboard.
    I know what you mean Larry. It would be so much easier. I could really go for that too. ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler