Thread: Questions on High Blood Pressure

Questions on High Blood Pressure

For a while I haven't been feeling to well. Every time I have the bp checked it's been a little high but they say nothing to worry about. Well I checked it the other day because I was getting head aches, eye aches & just not feeling to right. Went into Rite Aid to get a perscription so I decided to check it on their machine....Well..it read 196 over 100 the first time. I thought that can't be right so after a few minutes I tried again.
    191 over 99....Came home went to the clinic & it was 184 over 100.....so now I'm trying to decide what the next step is.....Any help on this ? I went on line & some sites say I should be just admitted to the hospital....

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Condit...82_Article.jsp

If, while monitoring your blood pressure, you get a systolic reading of 180 mm Hg or higher OR a diastolic reading of 110 mm HG or higher, wait a couple of minutes and take it again. If the reading is still at or above that level, you should seek immediate emergency medical treatment for a hypertensive crisis. If you can't access the emergency medical services (EMS), have someone drive you to the hospital right away.
    I've read the same as the above before, I think you need to go get it checked out, especially since you're having acute symptoms. It doesn't look like you'd get admitted, though, probably just treated.

(I'm not a doctor. )
    Last edited by David Weaver; 05-01-2014 at 4:05 PM.

Depends on age, weight, lifestyle and a few other factors...

105 - 125 / 60 - 90 is normal for a middle age man of average fitness.

Online sites are the worst possible way to get medical advice in general, by the time you finish reading you can be convinced you have everything from Ebola to Cancer. If you have concerns speak to a doctor

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

First of all I do not trust automatic BP machines. One's pressure should be taken by a person that understands the procedure as well as BP itself. The systolic pressure should be recognized at the first distinct sound. The diastolic at the last distinct sound. One or two high readings does not mean one is hypertensive. If you can go to a fire station and have an EMT take it daily, write it down and keep the record to take to a physician's office would be most beneficial in diagnosis.
    It is not the end of the world to be hypertensive and treat it, but, left to itself all manner of things can happen to a person.
    Just so you know I am an RN with 40 years in the profession.

That's a pretty high number. I'm surprised the doctor at the clinic didn't say something, even to tell you to do a daily BP measurement or something to verify its always high. By the way, do you do an aspirin a day? With regard to the BP test - my daughter (also an experienced RN) told me to make sure and relax and breathe during the test - don't hold your breath - it gives high test results. Now I always make sure to breathe while they do the test. Seems silly but it does seem to help with my numbers.

I have high blood preasure and it was never close to yours and I am on two meds for it Go see your doctor this is nothing to play with.
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

I've tried a couple home BP machines. The first was one that strapped around my wrist. It worked okay for SWMBO but read what seemed high for me. I took it to a Dr. office and checked with the machine and immediately by the doc. The machine was wacky, read high. I then got a inflating sleeve type machine. That seems to track pretty close to readings taken by pros. I find that if I have pain from an injury, my BP goes up quite a bit. There is also the 'white coat' sydrome where some people get tense and their BP rises in a medical office.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 05-02-2014 at 8:05 AM.

Presume this is one of those sit-down machines that rite aid has and is not a courtesy machine, so no reason for white coat symptoms. ER or doc or whatever, when you're having acute symptoms and the high reading together, you need to go get it figured out (by someone other than forum members who either aren't medical professionals or who would be remotely diagnosing) - I'd imagine you'll just get medicated for it, and not run through the full body cavity check and stay overnight, if you know what I mean.

Please see link below

http://cks.nice.org.uk/hypertension-...#!topicsummary

Before making any decision you must alwas speak with a doctor first

regards Brian
    Last edited by Brian Deakin; 05-02-2014 at 4:03 PM.

Very few doctors/nurses take the time to do a proper blood pressure reading in the exam room and sometimes it's not even possible due to "white coat syndrome". Multiple readings over several days should be taken to identify anomalies. I'd have more confidence in readings taken at home with a quality B-P monitor than those at your typical doctor's office.

Also, insurance companies have been a bad influence on doctors in that they're less aggressive in gettng their patinets to goal due to pressure to keep drug costs down.

SYSTOLIC B-P:

<91 = hypotension

91 to 119 = normal

120 TO 139 = prehypertension

>139 = hypertension

DIASTOLIC B-P:

<60 = hypotension

60 to 79 = normal

80 to 89 = prehypertension

>89= hypertension