Thread: Millers Falls #42 Coping Saw

Millers Falls #42 Coping Saw

I usually look out for these when they come up for sale on that auction site. Its not often but lately (in the last 2 weeks) there has been an influx of them. One sold for over $200 and last night one sold for over $500. Could some one tell what makes these worth that much? I have had the oppurtunity to own one and sold it last summer because it was only fair. Just curious.

Cody

There is a nice description here
    http://www.popularwoodworking.com/wo...-42-coping-saw
    I have an d use a MF 43 coping saw - also a good coping saw and much more affordable

Guess I'll just have to keep my Disston #10.......both of them...

Hello. $300 - $500 is a lot of money if you ask me. Classic case of supply and demand. Christopher Schwarz as much as whispers a tool name as the prices soar because well read toolies like you and I pay attention. Fair to say, there 's just not that many that come up compared to the number of people who, like you, "look out for these when they come up for sale on that auction site". People want 'em, there aren't that many, sellers see they can get beyond premium. Boom.

Begs the question, though, at what point is the feature(s) just not worth the extra dollars? For me, in this case, that would be about $150-$200. (I'll pay more for a tool that the average Joe, I reckon, for reasons I won't go into here—other than go big or go home—but I won't pay collector prices.) I love the idea of a coping saw that stays angularly true and parallel (which is what Christopher Schwarz claims the 42 does), but I don't $300 love it.

That said, I just paid $50 for one on that auction site. Lucked out. It was not identified so only had to go against five bids. We'll see if I like the real thing as much as the idea I have of it.

When you say "it was only fair", do you mean you didn't like it all that much?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtis Johnson View Post
    Hello. $300 - $500 is a lot of money if you ask me. Classic case of supply and demand. Christopher Schwarz as much as whispers a tool name as the prices soar because well read toolies like you and I pay attention.
    Same thing happens with whatever gets tapped for the next article.
    They've got to write about SOMEthing.

The disclaimer I like best was a description of MF Miter boxes just laying around
    when der Schwartz tripped over one in his neighbor's backyard.

This tool was mass produced by the thousands.
    That's hardly a rarity.

Considering the $12 Olson is commonly available - with all the original parts,
    this is yet another indication that the money supply is inflated.

Genuinely rare things, like a George Wilson hand made tool
    aren't for sale at any price.

Makes me look like I SAVED money by getting the Knew Concepts "cheap" saw. Who woulda thunk?

FYI, M-F #42 on that site now for $75.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Cantrell View Post
    ...One sold for over $200 and last night one sold for over $500...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    ...Considering the $12 Olson is commonly available...
    There are people out there with more money than sense. Maybe I could trade some of my sense for their money? I have the Olson. If I had $200 to spend on a coping saw I would certainly buy the Knew Concepts and spend the other $50 on a lifetime supply of Schwarz-approved Pegas blades. For $50 I might try the MF #42, as it does look pretty nice and I can't say I love the Olson.

When I say it was only "fair" it wasnt a bad saw but it wasnt magical either. I have a Diamond Edge coping saw with a Rosewood handle that I paid $3 for at flea market down town and it is every bit as good in my opinion. Not sure who made the DE saw but it is a dandy for sure.