Thread: I guess I'm in my own little world. Or maybe it's a laser engraver person thing.

I guess I'm in my own little world. Or maybe it's a laser engraver person thing.

So,

I do this part time as a side job. And one of the people at my office is a 3D graphics guy. Anyways I was explaining what kind of format he could export to that would be compatible with my laser.

I told him I use corel draw? And he said huh?? what is that? Now I'm thinking to myself. Really? You have never heard of corel draw? I've used Corel since 1997.

I thought it was kind of interesting. Made me laugh a bit.

yea I know people who lived in an area all there lives and don't know whats 2 miles down the road either. Kinda the same thing I guess. People use one thing and like it an never bother to look and see what else is out there.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Corel may be popular with laser engravers but it isn't used very much by graphics designers. Adobe Illustrator has about a 95% market share. My wife owned a design business for many years and also worked as a designer for a large commercial printing company. She is only vaguely familiar with it. As far as 3-D graphics goes, Corel doesn't support it at all. For general 3-D modeling, I believe the most popular product may be Rhino.

We are thinking about going to Corel Draw for use with our CNC router designs because Adobe has moved entirely to a software rental business model and we find that unacceptable.

Most graphics people I work with use illustrator but at least have heard of Corel, even those using 3D. Most of them are using Solidworks, and most haven't a clue how to save it to a format I can use, I have to usually do it myself on their laptop.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    Corel may be popular with laser engravers but it isn't used very much by graphics designers. Adobe Illustrator has about a 95% market share. My wife owned a design business for many years and also worked as a designer for a large commercial printing company. She is only vaguely familiar with it. As far as 3-D graphics goes, Corel doesn't support it at all. For general 3-D modeling, I believe the most popular product may be Rhino.We are thinking about going to Corel Draw for use with our CNC router designs because Adobe has moved entirely to a software rental business model and we find that unacceptable.
    I can back this up as well, as a graphic designer working primarily in digital fabrication all I use is Adobe Illustrator and Rhino 3D. I've heard of Corel of course but I've never seen a reason to make the switch. Rhino is able to import and export AI files directly, I don't think Corel has that level of integration and one less step is a huge step.
    Last edited by Weston Porter; 05-03-2014 at 10:26 PM.

I use Vectric's Vcarve Pro for generating CNC Router tool paths. It seems to be the dominant 2.5-D software in the industry. It imports Illustrator files directly. I think Corel will save vector based .EPS files which Vcarve will import. Vcarve will not directly import native Corel files, as far as I know.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 05-04-2014 at 10:35 AM.

I am sort of curious as to what type of 3-D graphics files would be useful for laser engraving. If what the OP wants is a 2-D graphic representation of a 3-D object, then the best method might be to print the 3-D image to a .PDF file and import that into Corel.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I am sort of curious as to what type of 3-D graphics files would be useful for laser engraving. If what the OP wants is a 2-D graphic representation of a 3-D object, then the best method might be to print the 3-D image to a .PDF file and import that into Corel.
    I would generate a 2D layout in my CAD program and then export as a .DXF or .AI.

Another thing I do for simple 3D objects is convert to surfaces. Lay all surfaces on the same plane. Convert to curves. Offset for material thickness where needed. Export.

I was the Art Director for a major comic book publisher for 10 years dealing with up to 100 studios and numerous print houses and whatnot. Only once was I given a Corel file. I sent it directly to film output and let them deal with it. They were not happy.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

I'm thinking the OP is wanting a graphical representation - something like a perspective drawing - that he can etch onto some suitable material. If that is true then surface projections or cross sections won't do him much good.