Thread: Wipe on Poly - How many coats?

Wipe on Poly - How many coats?

I am a first time WOP user hoping to get some advice. I have made a couple of trays (think serving tray) intended to be placed on an ottoman (my interior designer sister tells me this is very popular). So I decided to make a couple. Although I suppose these could be used to support a drink or two, I think it more likely that the use will be more decorative - perhaps supporting a book or a knick-knack. I am using Minwax's clear satin product and really like the result so far. However, as I have never used a WOP, I'm not quite sure how many coats I need to supply an adequate protection and am hoping to get some input here.

Thanks in advance.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Glen,

Typically 3 or 4 wipe-on coats equal one properly applied brush on coat. I would recommend no less than 4 coats; 8 or 10 to provide a finish that can handle wet drinks. Very light sanding (I use 320 grit) after a 3 coat wipe-on set. One wipe-on set is 3 coats applied as soon as the previous coat is dry to the touch. ~ an hour or so. Then let set dry over night and lightly sand, wipe clean. Ready for the next 3 coat set.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    As Scott said ... 3-4 minimum ... then, STOP when you get the look & feel you're after.