Thread: Wall Panel Construction with Door

Wall Panel Construction with Door

We are in the design process of our new home and in the entry I would like to do wood veneered panels on each side. The middle panel on the left as you walk in is going to be a walk-in/through closet. Due to the fact that I want the closet hidden I am struggling finding the right hardware. It seems I only have a couple options but the best is Sugutsune FAD-54L. This hardware is NOT cheap so I was hoping that I could get away with 5 or 6 Blum clip top hinges with Blumotion but I really like the lateral opening system. Any ideas/alternatives would be greatly appreciated.

I will be using the Sugutsune panel attachment system for the other panels as well. Again, if anyone thinks that is a bad idea or there are better ways that would be much appreciated.

2. For a secret door, one of the better ways to do it is have the door pivot on vertical pins,( like the stationary side of a bifold door). The short bit moves in away from the joint-disguising moulding, the rest of the door moves out, bringing that moulding with it...

I've seen it done with Euro-cabinet hinges, but for a full-height door (what dimensions are we talking about? Weight?) it would take more than 5 or 6----probably more like 10 or 12, but if it were me, I wouldn't use cabinet hinges.

Have you already considered pivot hardware (as suggested above)-- like Rixson, or Soss (or similar---Sugatsune or Tectus) hinges?

I've done blind doors with both Rixson and Soss ( and Sugatsune) systems, with success. Haven't tried the "lateral" system you're considering. It looks interesting.

The door just really needs to sit flush all the way around and look like the other panels. I have looked extensively at the hidden door type hardware and for this I won't have any moulding or want the door to be able to really pivot inside the opening (inset). It has to swing out like a full overlay hinge does or move in the way the Sugutsune system does. The panels will be a darker wood and the wood that is on the wall will be lighter for a nice contrast.

The panels that are fixed will be 3/4" MDF. Likely between 2 and 3' by 8' tall. I was going to make the door out of a lighter weight ply unless the hinge system can handle it so limit the variables when veneering such large pieces. If you look at the specs for the Blum hinges it notes 5 hinges for a door 45-60lbs and up to about 8' tall. Of course a couple more hinges wouldn't hurt anything but they all have to be precisely installed so that could be slightly tricky. The Clip Tops have a lot of adjustment though.