Thread: Lee Valley tools ontario

Lee Valley tools ontario

I have placed 2 orders with lee valley tools in the last week and a half and have placed one order with a live person taking down my credit card number.(and one on line)
    Then on may 3rd I found someone had used my card number and ordered something from the USA, I contacted the bank etc but the bottom line here is that this is a
    special small credit card for tools(500.00) and it was breached and I asked lee valley tools to look into it but they say it cannot be them .
    They owed me money from a return and claim they put it on my credit card but the bank has destroyed that card.
    The long and short here is I have had no trouble until my order went in to lee valley tools ,i asked if there system had been breached (they did not like that)
    Someone had all my info --name --expirey date etc
    I am very shocked and more surprised how not a lot is being done about this.
    I only use this small credit card for tool purchases(small tools)
    Just be cautious check your statements
    I went into the waterloo store for help and the manager there put me in contact with the head office .
    We'll see what happens

Stan: I asked on the canadian list and I'll ask you here, too, since you cross posted this to this forum. Given that it has been only a few days, how do you know that "not a lot is being done about this"? You seem to be very prepared to criticize Lee Valley, so I'm assuming that you have the facts to support your statement.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

While I doubt LV is the source of your problem, let them check it out. You didn't by chance do your on-line purchase using MS XP did you? I had my computer hacked (it runs Windows 7 but had XP running as a virtual machine) and pcclone was installed despite my use of anti-virus software. Just a point to consider.

Most likely your CC info has been stolen long time ago and therefore almost surely has nothing to do with LV.
    There could be MANY ways the cc info is stolen from your computer and/or while using it in a store. To blame the last store you used it to purchase is wrong....

It's incredibly unlikely that LV suffered a breach that affected you and only you. So either LV has a much large problem (one that will make the news like Target) or your card was compromised some other way. I think the latter is most likely.

Also, the bank did not destroy the card. They canceled it. The records of credits and debits to that account remain in the banks system. If LV made a credit, the bank will have a record of it even if someone else spent that balance through bogus charges. Moreover, LV will have confirmation of the credit or a failure of the transaction.

You should be working with the bank on this issue. I don't know how it works in Canada but if my US cards are stolen or compromised, the bank will cover all but $50 of that loss. In some cases, they'll cover 100%.
    Last edited by Daniel Rode; 05-06-2014 at 1:57 PM.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Warning about Accusations of wrongdoing, etc

For the moment I am going to leave this thread here and open though the strong possibility exists that I will make it disappear.

I would suggest that everyone who thinks of posting accusations about wrongdoing by ANY woodworking supplier first read the "Read Me First" at the top of the first page of every individual forum of SMC, it was written by SMCs owner Keith Outten and is our policy. Specifically read the section about rant threads. Also note that if you write something about anyone, especially suppliers, and it is found to be false (whether intentionally or by error) you are subject to civil prosecution for libel and/or defamation of character. With a corporation this can means they can sue you for damages both for the libel, and for lost income and profit caused by your action. It is important to note that most companies have far more funds available to hire lawyers than you as an individual will have available to defend yourself. Think carefully before you post and do not post in heat of the moment anger.

As a general rule the moderator staff considers a rant to be any post unsupported by concrete facts. The terms of service regarding complaints also requires that the person having a problem have made the effort to resolve the issue privately and off line before posting. Using SMC forTrial by Forum is not acceptable and will be punished by loss of posting privileges. Legitimate complaints and negative reviews are always allowed.

I will not comment about the merits of the accusations of this thread because it is not my place to do so. I make this post because a member reported it to me by PM and had reservations about whether or not it was appropriate.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

The damage to your credit card could have come about in many different ways and maybe from a long time ago. My sons debit card was hacked by someone and we figured out that it had to be from a charge that was made several months before. I think the hackers do that in order to lull you into a false sense of security by not making charges right away. Jared

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rode View Post
    It's incredibly unlikely that LV suffered a breach that affected you and only you. So either LV has a much large problem (one that will make the news like Target) or your card was compromised some other way. I think the latter is most likely.

Also, the bank did not destroy the card. They canceled it. The records of credits and debits to that account remain in the banks system. If LV made a credit, the bank will have a record of it even if someone else spent that balance through bogus charges. Moreover, LV will have confirmation of the credit or a failure of the transaction.

You should be working with the bank on this issue. I don't know how it works in Canada but if my US cards are stolen or compromised, the bank will cover all but $50 of that loss. In some cases, they'll cover 100%.
    I absolutely agree with Daniel. If LV had been compromised, you'd hear about it because the people on this forum buy from LV and their cards would have been compromised, also. The ruckus would be loud.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.