Thread: Check my thinking on this

Check my thinking on this

I have a 4x8 workbench that is built with 4x4 timbers and 3/4 plywood top and shelves. On it I have my old Craftsman RAS on a 6" (or so) stamped metal box. The stand up tube and arm assemble just bolt to the box with 4 bolts. I use it a lot and every time I use it I have to put two DIY roller assemblies on the work bench to hold up the 8 or 10 foot boards that I cut down. SOOOO. I am thinking about just removing the box and bolting the assemble right to the workbench so the long boards will be flush all the way across the table. I know I'll have to deal with the up/down crank, but other than that, I can't see any other issues....can you??? Thanks for the help.
    Do or do not, there is no try.

I think I'd make a 3/8" to 1/2" steel mounting plate to spread the load, but other than that, I don't see any other issues.

I was thinking about 4x4s, but yes, some kind of reinforcement under the plywood.

Why not just build a stock support at the far end of your bench that is the same height as your RAS. That way the bench doesn't need to be completely clean to be able to use the RAS. You can even build a short movable support to set on the bench whenever cutting shorter boards. I did this with my RAS and it worked well for me.

Charley

I have stock supports now that I have to set out. I need more than one as the boards I cut are fairly long. When I am cutting, it is a process in itself, so I clear the bench just for that anyway.

If you haven't had any problems with anything tipping as you're using it now, I don't see where there's a problem by just removing the metal box and going straight to the bench. I know the sucker is probably heavy, but do you ever move it off your bench? Just thinking out loud again...I do that often

I was looking at it tonight Troy and with the existing box, the weight is spread out over about a 2' x 2' area. The mount plate for the actual saw is only 8" x8" or so, so the weight and moments of inertial are concentrated. I am off tomorrow and will really examine it then.

Well, this is not going to work. When I pretended the radial arm was mounted to the bench, it was awkward as the end of the arm was blocking my grab of the saw handle. I think it will stay where it is.

Ok, that's problems solved. What else ya got

Well, I decided to build a 30" disc sander. I found a faceplate for an old Oliver 66 lathe to use as a hub. It is 12" across, 3/4" thick, takes a 2" x 6tpi shaft, and has 12 holes already drilled in it. I'll use those to screw on a 30" x 5/8" disc.