Thread: Cool find for my RAS

Cool find for my RAS

I have been thinking about how to rig up a dust hood for my RAS and came across this for 20 bucks on OWWM.org. I think it will do nicely but wonder if there will be enough suction at the end of the tube leading to the blade cover. Anyone use one of these???

Do or do not, there is no try.

Very interesting! My dad has a saw identical to yours and I always wondered how the DC was suppose to work on there... I would probably take off the reducer and go as big as you can to your duct work
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

I have a Delta turret RAS with the same exact elevation crank!

John

That crank location is a pain for what I am doing. It will have to be extended and will stick out the side of my work bench. The Delta turret is a big a$$ saw.

Just to be clear, the saw in the pix is not mine. That is the one from the ad. I have the same model but it is black.
    Last edited by Dennis Nagle; 05-06-2014 at 10:13 PM.

I have the same RAS and DC, it works fine. My problem is the tube from the guard to the collector fell apart and I can't find a replacement of the same diameter. I wouldn't go bigger on the tubes unless you have a more powerful vacuum unit.

What tube are you talking about David? I took off the reducer and went strait to 4". If you are saying your reducer fell apart, you can have mine. I live at M59 and Christy right near the Kroger.

The word Tube was a bad choice. I should have said hose. The small hose split at the coupler to the blade cover.
    I know that area ...and the Kroger. Use to buy wood from the place across from Kroger on the East.
    The DC unit that came with the saw, from 1968, isn't listed on the OWWM site yet...it will be shortly, with pics.

I have something similar, but, no hose to the blade guard. I do not think that any benefit you might get from that hose is worth the hassle of its location or the loss in suction.

OK, I don't have a hose, I was thinking about the reducer to 2" from 4" that I am not using.

Mike, I agree. I took the hose off and taped over the guard spout and I didn't notice any difference, however, the hose is not in the way so I put it back.

Here's what I did:

The dust hood does most of the work (4" duct), hooked up to a 3HP cyclone D.C. The small hose is a swimming pool suction hose available from Lowe's (our local big-box lumber/home improvement store).

That looks like it works well Ed. My RAS is right at the end of the table I do my finishing on so keeping any amount of saw dust way is good and makes for less clean up for me.