Thread: I tried but it wan't enough

Blog Entries

I tried but it wan't enough

I few weeks back the clothes dryer died. No huge surprise, as it was seventeen years old and had given flawless service. The drum bearings and front wear plates had worn out. I replaced them and performed a general clean and tune-up. It worked for about a week and then started to stop in the middle of a load. This dryer had a reversing tumble feature and it would stop an refuse to restart for 20-30 minutes. By my estimation it was either the motor dying or the computer processor failing. It seemed likely to be a temperature overload to me. While we had got a maintenace kit to replace the bearings, etc, both the processor and the motor were unavailable (read obsolete and none left in stock). A search through craigslist and the site that must not be named had no results. A message board for this washer / dryer brand had none of the parts either. It was clear in the threads that this was the common mode of failure. While there were other parts available none that solved my problem. As the laundry was piling up, I admitted defeat and broke down and bought a new dryer. Sad but true.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

17 years is almost unheard of today. You had a good run.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear eats you.

I've got a dryer that I replaced the front bearings on at about 7 years old. My wife does probably 10 loads of laundry a week or more...let's just say she's not really the eco type, she's the ocd cleaning type.

I hope it lasts 17 years. On a washer and dryer, I try to get the simplest machines I can get without compromising efficiency too much (our dryer is a rebadged GE dryer that uses a moisture sensor instead of temp, only runs about 20 minutes a load on low heat, which I like a lot). Anything else seems to be inviting trouble, and you pay more to invite it, too.

But 17...definitely good.

An awesome try...

Enjoy your new dryer.

Warning!!
    Do not spray the rear tub bearing with WD-40 while it is running.
    DAMHIK, but I had to get the fire extinguisher out.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Warning!!
    Do not spray the rear tub bearing with WD-40 while it is running.
    DAMHIK, but I had to get the fire extinguisher out.
    A buddy of mine began spray painting the inside of the drum. Needless to say, he lost his eyebrows to the Flash. Luckily, nothing else hurt except his pride.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

Blog Entries
    Thanks! No, I'm not unhappy to get 17 years out of it. But in truth, I was hoping to get a few more out before replacing these appliances. Dryers are such simple machines, it is depressing when you can't easily repair something like this. We already did a refrigerator and wall oven in the last 6 months. They were 24 years old.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Have you been to the Sears Outlet in Bakersfield?

Almost every appliance was in my house for years, when we bought it.
    Each appliance came from the nearby Clearance Outlet.

One pea sized dent was worth $400 on my refrigerator, a scratch was valued at $275 on the dishwasher.
    They deliver and haul away the old appliance.

That came in handy when I baited a family of mice that expired in the gas stove.
    That was a smell for the ages...