Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Materials Bids Negotiable?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Talked to a contractor who used the supplier today and he indicated his price was less than the one quoted, so called the sales representative to inquire about the price difference. She simply said, "Barry asked for a discount. Do you want the same one?" Long story short, they came down eight percent on the bid price with a simple phone call. Not quite sure how such a simple question caused drama for some folks.
    Mark was (is) talking about pricing a lumber yard quotes a repeat customer. You're dealing with (it seems) a manufacturer of aluminum decking, for the first and possibly only time.

Completely different animals.

For the record, I was pro asking for a better price. But if someone dropped the quote 8% and said I should have asked for a discount, I'd pocket the eight and ask for more.

That was round one.

Move onto round two.
    Last edited by Phil Thien; 05-08-2014 at 5:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I normally ask the salesman at places like Home Depot and Lowes if he can get me a better price on things like new appliances and lawn mowers. Quite often, I actually get a better price - sometimes much better. It often isn't the first rule of business at these stores. It usually just takes the concurrence of the store manager. I got over being bashful about negotiating prices when I retired and got on a fixed budget.
    I've found the best way to get discounts at Home Depot or Menards is to get some Lowe's 10% off coupons. They may not be valid any longer at Lowe's, but Menards and Home Depot will take them if not expired.

Tell them you have cut your profit to the bone and need a 10% discount or the project just isn't going to happen.
    They might do it or they might not; but there is no harm to trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Talked to a contractor who used the supplier today and he indicated his price was less than the one quoted, so called the sales representative to inquire about the price difference. She simply said, "Barry asked for a discount. Do you want the same one?" Long story short, they came down eight percent on the bid price with a simple phone call. Not quite sure how such a simple question caused drama for some folks.
    Rich,
    That's fine, but face the facts, what happened is the contractor, based on volume and being in the trade, was given a price for "his" level of business. You, all well and good, back doored his discount even though your not a contractor and likely may never do the quantity of business he will but because he divulged his pricing to you his vendor (wrongfully In my opinion) gave you his price.

If I have a pricing structure with a vendor that I have achieved based on my volume or business scale and I found out they have given that price to someone who didn't meet the same standards, you can darn well bet I will be looking for another vendor. And yes, this pertains to being in the trade, or being licensed, or being a commercial shop as well. My cabinet ply for instance comes into my shop from a vendor that sent a rep in to my shop to specifically make sure I was a legitimate shop before they would even open my account. Meeting that criteria I get discounted pricing, delivery, and so on. If I found out they were selling to Joe Schmoe in his garage id be a little confused.

I'm happy that you got a break on the material but it was the back door information from the contractor that got you there. Again all well and good but the contractor should be questioning himself as as should the vendor.

No idea if your a tradesman or not but can only assume not as youd have gotten his pricing to begin with.