Thread: pricing CNC sign work

pricing CNC sign work

Hello all,

I've done a couple signs for customers, but have mostly used my CNC for pistol grips, etc. I have a job I'm working on now and I don’t know how to price it. It's a 16x19" sign in 3/4 baltic birch, edge banded, with a clock face and movement integrated in, with a french cleat to wall mount, giving it a floating look. Sign face is v carved with a custom design I did in Corel with a motorcycle clipart and text. All carving has a black infill and the sign is to be finished out in lacquer.

I have a hour into the design, an hour into set up and run, and an hour into finishing. Materials are $15, consumables $5, shop overhead not including labor is $10/hr, so my cost to produce is around $50. I figure labor at $30/ hr for 2 hours, plus CNC time at $40/hr for 1 hr gives a basic cost at $150. Add a pad and profit and I'm at around $200. Is this out of line? What would you all be at for something like this? No photos right now as I'm having problems posting photos from my phone.

Thanks,
    Michael

My price for sandblasted wood signs is $100/sf. which is middle of the range for here. That would put this one at about $200. The difference is what your CNC cost/maintenance vs a compressor and sand pot/gun. I would expect your CNC to have cost more, so that seems a good price for your customer, you could probably be higher but it's really up to you. If this is a first, get pictures to show others and hopefully get more of these jobs.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green