Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: How is Grizzly overall as a brand?

How is Grizzly overall as a brand?

From what I've read and learned so far about Grizzly, I kind of see it as the Toyota of power tools. It will get me to where I have to go, be affordable, and have some decent quality, but not Mercedes-Benz quality. So far I've bought a Jet 6" jointer used and a new Ridgid table saw which I got for 25% off, and I've been satisfied with them.

The only other tools I'm looking for at this time are a bandsaw and planer. Most all the other tools I need except a router and lathe I already have. I kind of got bored and impatient on the used market, and right now I'm highly looking into the Grizzly GO453z Spiral Head planer, and while I'm making the 3 hour trip to their Muncy showroom, I'll probably pick up a GO555 14" Bandsaw. Even while I'm there, I may consider buying a Lathe too, but that's doubtful.

Pretty much I have the money for the stuff, there's no question or issue about that. I'm simply looking for opinions from the woodworkers on Sawmill Creek on Grizzly as a brand before I go out and buy.

Some info about me if that factors into the situation, because people always ask, I'm a young worker with four years of experience in a shop with some of the best tools out there and learned from one of the best in the trade. I'm currently putting together a shop of my own for hobby purposes, so my tools wouldn't see heavy use. Right now it's a shed shop, but I've done heavy research on outside tool maintenance and preservation, and I live in a relatively mild climate. I will build stuff like furniture, and from my prior experience, I always start out with rough sawn hardwood, so my jointer, planer, and band saw will see heavy use. My jointer limits me to 6", so I think the 6" resaw capacity of the 14" bandsaw will be sufficient.

Kia or Tata might be more fitting than toyota.

Minimax might be more fitting for toyota.

For all of the asian machines, you pays your money, you takes your chances. You'll get a decent machine that will do what it says it does, but you'll never get confused and think you have minimax.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 05-09-2014 at 3:32 PM.

In my opinion and experience generally speaking European machinery is heads and shoulders above the current breed of Asian. Specifically about most Asian machines, Powermatic and Jet are generally better than Grizzly and lower than that you start getting into HF quality. Basically you are indeed getting what you are paying for in most cases.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post

Minimax might be more fitting for toyota.

For all of the asian machines, you pays your money, you takes your chances. You'll get a decent machine that will do what it says it does, but you'll never get confused and think you have minimax.
    I think Minimax is a bit of an unfair comparison for a hobby shop... Minimax is commercial woodworking machinery. I hate how there aren't any USA brands on the hobbiest level anymore. Even the cheap brands like craftsman used to be USA made, all my hand tools and even my Craftsman power drill from the early 90s is USA made. The tools I've worked around before were mostly Delta Rockwell, and these came from Pittsburgh I believe, and while some of these are commercial, even the 6" jointer was made in the steel city. Unfortunately a lot of these tools are hard to find and restoration is simply something I'm not into

As an owner of Grizz machines, I will offer that my experiences have been more than might be expected.
    My wood lathe and accessories, 0555LX band saw, 0444Z table saw have met all expectations without a flaw.
    I will not hesitate to add to my shop needs with Grizzly tooling.
    Customer service and parts needed are a big plus for me. Price/value relationship is exceptional.
    I have no ego involved. Just want my equipment to work every time-all the time.
    Flame if ya want, but I'm a happy Grizzly owner.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Martin View Post
    In my opinion and experience generally speaking European machinery is heads and shoulders above the current breed of Asian. Specifically about most Asian machines, Powermatic and Jet are generally better than Grizzly and lower than that you start getting into HF quality. Basically you are indeed getting what you are paying for in most cases.
    I don't know about Powermatic, but I've heard that Jet tools are made in Taiwan just like Grizzly.

Which actually pardon me on that comment, Grizzly has both China and Taiwan factories. Taiwan is right off of china so I don't know what the quality difference is. I don't know if it's true, but I've been told before that a lot of these tools, like Jet for example, are the same Asian productions, just under another brand name. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely hate buying outside the US, but my only alternative is to by used which isn't gonna work
    Last edited by Michael Yadfar; 05-09-2014 at 4:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Yadfar View Post
    I don't know about Powermatic, but I've heard that Jet tools are made in Taiwan just like Grizzly.

Which actually pardon me on that comment, Grizzly has both China and Taiwan factories. Taiwan is right off of china so I don't know what the quality difference is. I don't know if it's true, but I've been told before that a lot of these tools, like Jet for example, are the same Asian productions, just under another brand name. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely hate buying outside the US, but my only alternative is to by used which isn't gonna work

I actually said both Powermatic and Jet are made in Asia. My perception however is that they are generally better machines than Grizzly with a bit better quality control and finish. One must also remember Sawstop is also made in Asia but to a much higher quality level than most others. So, this is not only about the place of manufacturing there are other factors involved such as quality of machining, level of quality control and tolerances, etc, which is then generally reflected in the price of the machine. Without a middleman Grizzly is able to pass on better value than some other Asian brands. However, in my experience expecting high level of quality as seen in Minimax, Sawstop, etc, is simply not reasonable. Again, it is clearly acceptable to many as they seem to sell a lot of machines.... Just like how Walmart is the largest retailer...

I have or had tools form Jet, Powermatic, Steel City, Delta, Grizzly, and Shop Fox.Every tool needs to be taken on a case by case basis. I would never outfit my shop with a single brand. That being said, the majority of my shop is Grizzly(G1023RL, G0513X2, G0453Z, G1026, G0441, and G0458, G1071, and W1741). What is not Grizzly is some older equipment like a DeWalt GWI RAS, Powermatic 1200 VS Drill press,and a Delta 40-440 scroll saw which I restored because I didn't like what was out there new. I do have a Jet oscillating edge sander because at the time it was the cheapest edge sander that oscillated and a 1642 lathe because I thought it was best in class. I am happy with my current heard. Grizzly has been good to me and and have had less issues and better fit and finish then the rest of the brands. That may not be eitirely ture. I had had 0 issues with Steel City. I think PM and Jet are way overpriced for what you get. Grizzly hits that sweet spot of price and performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Martin View Post
    I actually said both Powermatic and Jet are made in Asia. My perception however is that they are generally better machines than Grizzly with a bit better quality control and finish. One must also remember Sawstop is also made in Asia but to a much higher quality level than most others. So, this is not only about the place of manufacturing there are other factors involved such as quality of machining, level of quality control and tolerances, etc, which is then generally reflected in the price of the machine. Without a middleman Grizzly is able to pass on better value than some other Asian brands. However, in my experience expecting high level of quality as seen in Minimax, Sawstop, etc, is simply not reasonable. Again, it is clearly acceptable to many as they seem to sell a lot of machines.... Just like how Walmart is the largest retailer...
    I thought you were referring to Powermatic and Grizzly as European brands. You actually did answer my question well, I was asking more about quality than county of origin. I will definitely look into the other brands and base it off of my budget. This is why I like other opinions, I'm sure you guys have worked with many different machines and know the quality difference. Like I said, I've worked with high quality machinery, I haven't played with any of the new asian brands. I will definitely see a quality drop off... The planer I've previously worked with was a Casadei R510 (Italian made), that thing was a tank and probably was about $15,000 new. Any 15" Asian planer is gonna be a drop off, but hopefully I pick the best of the drop offs
    Last edited by Michael Yadfar; 05-09-2014 at 4:48 PM.

I agree with Cary completely. I own several Grizzly machines. All have performed well. Many for 15 - 18 years. I also own 1 Jet machine(planer). It seems maybe a bit better fit/finish. But no better performance. Since I bought it some 18 years ago(was comparably priced to Griz back then), their prices have gotten out of hand and out of my price range. Comparing Griz to Euro machine at 4+ times the price.. I would hope there would be some difference, but for my mostly hobby shop, not worth the difference. But then the Neanders do quality work with hand tools. Still think in most non production cases, technique and skill far out weigh any(perceived or even real) shortcomings of most machines. Yes, there is some real junk out there, and it is wise to do your research.

All that said... Grizzly, Jet, Delta(most), PC, Craftsman(again most), Dewalt, Shopfox... have performed well for me. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Took the words right out of my mouth, and thats because Yugo is gone.

I recently had the unpleasant experience of working in a shop full of Grizzly tools. I can not say what I honestly think or my post will be deleted, but suffice to say, I was glad to get back to my own shop filled with Toyota's.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Took the words right out of my mouth, and thats because Yugo is gone.

I recently had the unpleasant experience of working in a shop full of Grizzly tools. I can not say what I honestly think or my post will be deleted, but suffice to say, I was glad to get back to my own shop filled with Toyota's.

Larry
    What would you consider the "Toyota" brand of hobbiest tools? Jet? I'm only asking because that's what I assume here, because the reference to minimax wasn't really applicable since I'm not looking into commercial purposes

And just out of curiosity, what would you consider the Mercedes Benz brand? I consider the old Delta-Rockwell and all that to be the "Muscle Cars" of tools so you can't count them
    Last edited by Michael Yadfar; 05-09-2014 at 5:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Yadfar View Post
    What would you consider the "Toyota" brand of hobbiest tools? Jet? I'm only asking because that's what I assume here, because the reference to minimax wasn't really applicable since I'm not looking into commercial purposes

And just out of curiosity, what would you consider the Mercedes Benz brand? I consider the old Delta-Rockwell and all that to be the "Muscle Cars" of tools so you can't count them
    Minimax and Felder 700 and down should be considered high end hobby machines. that is how they are targeted to a large extent. Maybe like the C series Mercedes or Audi A4 but not strictly commercial. SCMI, Format, and finally Martin are another step up and there are levels within that group. Felder 900 and SCMI Nova , then Format and SCMI Class, and finally Martin and maybe L'Invincible. They are the equivalents of the mid to large size Mercedes, AudI. BMW. Keep in mind that the Mercedes comparable covers a wide quality range too. Dave

I guess Kia would be the correct comparison to Grizzly, and I guess a company like Jet would be the Toyota type company. I feel like the brands I never heard of like Tata or Yugo are more like Harbor Freight type stuff. I guess it's safe to say that Grizzly is the lowest of the "good" brands

Sort of a new question I have is more in reference to "value" as some bring up. I'm definitely sure that Jet has some degree of higher quality than Grizzly, but we are talking about a $2,000 planer vs a $3,000 planer, both from Asia. What I want to know is what brand in my realm of affordability would be the best "value". And by my realm of affordability, I mean around the Kia/Toyota range