Thread: ML Campbell Pre Cat Primer problem

ML Campbell Pre Cat Primer problem

Hi all,

I'm spraying MagnaClaw primer (and now they switched me to MagnaMax primer W129649 with identical results) and I'm getting a sandy finish, especially on horizontal surfaces. It's a not a huge problem as it still sands out nicely but this cannot happen with the topcoat. I can literally wipe off sand like primer from the top of my cabinets after it dries. It seem to almost dry right off the gun.

I thinned the magnaClaw to about 30 secs with a Ford #4 cup using Campbells lacquer thinner (and used magnaMax primer right out of can). I used to spray Ben Moore alkyd SI and I had a similar problem when I used lacquer thinner instead of mineral spirits so I'm pretty sure the product is drying way too fast.

Should I look into using a retarder?

I'm using a Accuspray 10G gun with 1.8mm tip.

Thanks

P.S. one odd property of ML Campbell precats I noticed is that when I clean my equipment with standard paint thinner it actually forces the primer to instantly dry or curdle and at that point no amount of additional cleaning will get it off. Luckily, using ML Campbell lacquer thinner even after this error takes the primer right off. I don't think this is related to my problem because I don't usually prime my gun with solvent and of course if I did hopefully I would remember to use Campbell's lacquer thinner.
    Last edited by Alex Horvath; 05-11-2014 at 4:52 PM.