Thread: electrical help needed: Jointer/planer doesn't start

electrical help needed: Jointer/planer doesn't start

I have a minimax J/P. Was in the middle of using the jointer and after a couple of hours of constant use (with the power feeder mounted) when I turned it off briefly to empty the dust collection bin couldn't start it again. The start push button doesn't do anything. Usually when you push it it clicks something but right now it is like when the emergency push button is pressed and you have disengage that (but it certainly is not engaged). Here are a few photos of the machine/starter:

20140511_163443.jpg20140511_163452.jpg20140511_163502.jpg

Could it be thermal protect is activated? I left it alone for 20 minutes but no luck. I checked the power and there is power after the padlock. When I turn the padlock I can hear a very small "buzz" from the push-start button unit. I am not familiar with these switches and didn't attempt to open them. Any idea what the issue might be? the very short/un-helpful manual says the thermal protection might have activated and let it cool down..

check for louse wires. how do you reset for an overload?
    jack
    English machines

I ended up opening the switch. The start button was stuck down for whatever reason that I don't know. Pulled it out and now it starts the machine fine.
    Back to making shavings....

That happens with the sorts of switches and stop buttons you have one that. Those switches you have to turn can get debris in them too, which fouls the works.

Glad to hear you are back on track, I have a similar switch on my shaper, and it similarly stinks. I should open it up and clean/lube. Some times I get not starts, I have to sort of toggle the on and off buttons to get the start to pop all the way up then it works. Brilliant design....as in terrible. I'm told many replace these switches, not sure what fits seamlessly in the given space? Reminds me of the old push button light switches in my grandmothers victorian as a child. Always a craps shoot as to whether or not you could turn on a given light on a given day. There is a reason they stopped making them like that, apparently Italy didn't get the message? Must be a price point thing, I don't see these types on switches on SCMI stuff of recent vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by jack forsberg View Post
    check for louse wires. how do you reset for an overload?
    Hello Jack, his start/stop pushbutton is a manual across the line starter with thermal overload. You reset it if it trips.

If I remember correctly the E-stop button opens the rotary disconnect switch.........Rod.

Well this problem re-occurred today. The start push-button gets stuck at the bottom, even when you press it while the power is disconnected.
    Given that it is a magnetic starter it should not happen when the power is disconnected. I opened it up again and used a screw driver to push it back out.
    If I take a couple of photos can it help somebody to identify what the issue could be? I have no idea (looks like the switch can be used for both single and 3-phase).
    thanks

Have you called minimax tech support? Their product, they're the experts, for the price you pay they should provide a solution.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Sometimes when the thermal overload trips, it can be something non-electrical. I suggest a simple maintenance check before bugging the tech. That is, make sure the motor area is clear of dust build-up and well ventilated and that the you're not over-working the machine with dull cutters. And like Jack says, check for loose wires....it can create electrical resistance that builds heat (starting with the user installed electrical like cord, plug etc....). I never did like that switch there on the left... tend s to be kinda flaky. I had a machine where that black start button had to be pushed HARD when it tripped once or twice.

machine wasn't working hard (planing some 2x4), I turned it off to empty the dust collector bin and it won't turn on again. The motor area is clean.
    Does this switch need to be lubricated at all?!

See post #8
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Just guessing but you probably have a very simple switch malfunction. Unless the machine is under warranty you can easily troubleshoot and fix this yourself if you buy a multimeter and read up on google on how to troubleshoot electric switch issues. I would recommend asking minimax first, since they can probably give you specific advice, and will be willing to whereas you have nowhere else to ask but here. Since it is their machine you have access to their knowledge base and that is why you buy from them after all.

If you have to fix it yourself it is worth doing. I honestly didn't even know how to use a multimeter two years ago and after some advice from rob and others I purchased one and fixed some fairly complicated issues with my jointer/planer within a few weeks. It all seemed like greek at the beginning but every answer I needed was on the internet and I fixed the whole thing for far less than the cost of a single hour of a service call. As a side benefit I learned a good bit about small motor electrical work as a result and fixed some major issues with my lawn mower electrical system the same year. Really worth getting into if they can't cover it under warranty.