View Poll Results: Which of these brands do you most recommend for a 15" planer?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Grizzly

46 45.10%
  • Shop Fox

0 0%
  • Powermatic

44 43.14%
  • Jet

8 7.84%
  • General International

7 6.86%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 15" Planer - General International, Grizzly, Powermatic, Jet, Shop Fox

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Also take a look at the Woodfast site, Qing Dao is the source of many machines. Dave
    I cannot make a connection between the US major woodworking machinery brands and Woodfast(Australia)? or Qing Dao(China)? Please enlighten me. I'm always interested in learning where things are made.

The connection between Geetech(Taiwan) and China is Chiu Ting Machinery Co., Ltd.

Geetech lists among its customers.

Stanley/Black&Decker
    DeWalt
    Delta
    Porter Cable
    SawStop
    Walter Meier
    Jet
    Powermatic
    Grizzly
    General International
    Ridgid
    Oliver - probably the main one
    Laguna
    Craftex
    King
    Woodworkers Supply
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    Larry, you consistently rip lower cost tools on this site. I'm sure your tools are really awesome, but surely there are folks that have even better tools than you. The OP asked for differentiators between 4 specific brands. He wasn't asking for comparisons to higher end tools. Why do you feel the need to jump in and rip all 4 and then tell us how great your stuff is? I don't get it.
    Because I have gone through that category of tools to get to what I have today and so know the differences. But you have convinced me that I should no longer offer my opinion.

Larry

Just for reference here is an example of what I was talking about.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Powermatic-1...p2054897.l4275

Larry

Ken,

You're looking at the same machine in 4 different levels of trim. They're all made in the same Chinese factory by the same workers from the same castings, the only difference is the level of quality control that the individual resellers are willing to pay for. Better QC equals better bearings, better motors, closer machining tolerances, etc., they all equate to higher price. Good book for any woodworker looking to buy power tools is "Poorly Made in China: An Insider's Account of the Chinese Production Game". While it doesn't deal with tools, it gives a a good look at the mind-set of the Chinese manufacturing industry in general.

Add in that only one of the versions you mentioned comes with the for-real Byrd Shelix head(there's a difference) and you'll see why I bought the Powermatic.

A note to Larry:

I know where you're coming from, I'm an OWWM member myself. I've traveled that path with 3 machines, one is in the shop, the other I could get to the point that I could sell it with a clear conscience and the last went to the recyclers at a tremendous loss. That one could be in the shop if I'd been willing to shell out $2K in machine shop time for a contractor saw. And I spent literally days spread out over months of what little spare time I have on these machines, time that could have been better spent building stuff.

Not all the members here have the mechanical ability or the time to spend restoring Old American Iron. I search Craigslist for "Powermatic" every morning, for every one of the 160's I've seen that look like the one you found on eBay, I've seen literally dozens that look like they were rode hard and put up wet or left outside in a leaky shed since Grandpa died 20 years ago. And all the sellers seem to think they're worth $1K+ just because they say Powermatic on the front and they're green. Here's an example from a local Craigslist broker: Powermatic E16 16" Planer. Almost $2K for a planer that's been repainted and is in "good working condition" which means the motor runs and a board might come out of it smoother than it went in. No mention of whether it will come out parallel on both sides, torn out or with burn marks because the feed rollers are bent and won't feed at a constant speed. Or whether the bed has been dished by years of slamming boards through it at too deep a cut. Or any number of other things that could be wrong with the machine that would require expert inspection before purchase to find and machine shop time to correct after you brought it home. Add in another $600 for a Byrd head and it's easy to see why most folks want to buy new. It ain't easy being green.

Like I said, I bought the PM 15HH and haven't been disappointed. It's the wrong color, it was made across the world but it arrived in good shape and is working with minimal adjustment. And I have a 5-year warranty if it breaks.

My $.25 worth,
    Bill

5. Quote Originally Posted by Bill Graham View Post
    I search Craigslist for "Powermatic" every morning, for every one of the 160's I've seen that look like the one you found on eBay, I've seen literally dozens that look like they were rode hard and put up wet or left outside in a leaky shed since Grandpa died 20 years ago. My $.25 worth, Bill
    This 8x40 is currently for sale for $2,500 on my local craigslist

00N0N_jVB6rA3PgG9_600x450.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Graham View Post
    Ken,

You're looking at the same machine in 4 different levels of trim. They're all made in the same Chinese factory by the same workers from the same castings, the only difference is the level of quality control that the individual resellers are willing to pay for. Better QC equals better bearings, better motors, closer machining tolerances, etc., they all equate to higher price. Good book for any woodworker looking to buy power tools is "Poorly Made in China: An Insider's Account of the Chinese Production Game". While it doesn't deal with tools, it gives a a good look at the mind-set of the Chinese manufacturing industry in general.

Add in that only one of the versions you mentioned comes with the for-real Byrd Shelix head(there's a difference) and you'll see why I bought the Powermatic.

A note to Larry:

I know where you're coming from, I'm an OWWM member myself. I've traveled that path with 3 machines, one is in the shop, the other I could get to the point that I could sell it with a clear conscience and the last went to the recyclers at a tremendous loss. That one could be in the shop if I'd been willing to shell out $2K in machine shop time for a contractor saw. And I spent literally days spread out over months of what little spare time I have on these machines, time that could have been better spent building stuff.

Not all the members here have the mechanical ability or the time to spend restoring Old American Iron. I search Craigslist for "Powermatic" every morning, for every one of the 160's I've seen that look like the one you found on eBay, I've seen literally dozens that look like they were rode hard and put up wet or left outside in a leaky shed since Grandpa died 20 years ago. And all the sellers seem to think they're worth $1K+ just because they say Powermatic on the front and they're green. Here's an example from a local Craigslist broker: Powermatic E16 16" Planer. Almost $2K for a planer that's been repainted and is in "good working condition" which means the motor runs and a board might come out of it smoother than it went in. No mention of whether it will come out parallel on both sides, torn out or with burn marks because the feed rollers are bent and won't feed at a constant speed. Or whether the bed has been dished by years of slamming boards through it at too deep a cut. Or any number of other things that could be wrong with the machine that would require expert inspection before purchase to find and machine shop time to correct after you brought it home. Add in another $600 for a Byrd head and it's easy to see why most folks want to buy new. It ain't easy being green.

Like I said, I bought the PM 15HH and haven't been disappointed. It's the wrong color, it was made across the world but it arrived in good shape and is working with minimal adjustment. And I have a 5-year warranty if it breaks.

My $.25 worth,
    Bill
    I like this post.

Here is a nicer used Powermatic for sale in m area. I have no idea if it is a good deal, but I am sure I do not have the space for it. I find myself limited to fairly compact machines to fit into my garage & work area.

Is it a good deal?

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/tld/4407429336.html

Blog Entries
    Since your initial thoughts on the Grizzly had to do with "finish", you could buy the Grizzly and have an auto body man really jazz it up for you for $500. You'd still be money ahead and have a great planer to boot!
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

I checked off the Powermatic box. But if I were looking to buy a big planer, I'd probably also look at European machines. I'm thinking Hammer.

General International wouldn't get a look from me. My experience with a General International table saw has left me very unhappy with that company. I'm not going to get on a soap box about it. I'm just not going to consider their stuff going forward.

This is the kind of machine that if you buy a really good one, it'll probably be the one you have for the rest of your life. Choose wisely.