Thread: My favorite homemade non-woodworking tool…

My favorite homemade non-woodworking tool…

…is my ghetto/hillbilly homebrewed smoker. Feels like summer today and I'm off work, so I thought I'd do a little show and tell while I make the first brisket of the season.
    The firebox of the unit is just the bottom of a good old Smokey Joe Silver (about $35). Fill it up completely with hardwood charcoal and it will burn for a good 8 hours.

photo-119.jpg

Some applewood chips, soaked for an hour, take care of the smoke.

photo-120.jpg

The stack is a 30-quart tamale pot with the bottom cut out. The pot fits perfectly inside the lip of the Smokey Joe, and the lid of the Smokey Joe fits perfectly on top. Coincidence? Maybe. Or perhaps the BBQ gods are sending a sign…go forth and barbecue.

photo-121.jpg

The key to the whole operation is a rack, mounted about 2.5" above the bottom of the pot, that holds a water pan. The pan supplies moisture of course, but also acts as a heat sink and helps keep the temperature low and stable.

photo-122.jpg

A thermometer below the top rack is essential. This is a cheap bi-metal unit, but has worked great for over 5 years.

photo-123.jpg

A bolt and wingnut on the vents (top and bottom) make it easier to adjust airflow. Really, it's rarely necessary to adjust the top vents--it's the bottom one that is key.

photo-124.jpg

Finally, the money shot:

photo-125.jpg

Dinner's in about 8 hours! Thanks for looking!

- Steve

Do you deliver?
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Dang,that looks good!!!

Very creative Steve. What temp do you try to keep for your brisket? Something in the BBQ zone or in the blue zone

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Very creative Steve. What temp do you try to keep for your brisket? Something in the BBQ zone or in the blue zone
    Thanks Pat, it's not my idea though. There are plans for these all over the internet.
    Definitely low temp. I normally keep it between 225-250 for about 4 hours. Then wrap it in foil for the last 2-3 hours, same temp. Then put the foil-wrapped brisket in an insulated cooler for 1-2 more hours. Tried a bunch of different ways and this one is the best I've found.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Voigt View Post
    Thanks Pat, it's not my idea though. There are plans for these all over the internet.
    Definitely low temp. I normally keep it between 225-250 for about 4 hours. Then wrap it in foil for the last 2-3 hours, same temp. Then put the foil-wrapped brisket in an insulated cooler for 1-2 more hours. Tried a bunch of different ways and this one is the best I've found.
    Did you happen to see Arbys is offering brisket thats supposedly been smoked for 30 hours, I haven't tried it but people say its yummy.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wiggins View Post
    Do you deliver?
    I can't be the only person who looked to see where he lives........

Quote Originally Posted by Lornie McCullough View Post
    I can't be the only person who looked to see where he lives........
    Ha! You guys made me chuckle.

Start smoking it now Steve should be just about perfect when I roll in for Rolling Thunder Whats your address again.??
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Where did you find the 30-quart tamale pot that fit?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Where did you find the 30-quart tamale pot that fit?
    I mis-remembered, it's 32 quart. I got it at the 99-cent store down the street when I lived in Brooklyn. Anyway, here's one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B00194DVJI

I remember paying only $30, but they seem to have gone up. I think you might be able to get them at walmart, too.