Thread: Cheap plane: Before & After

Cool Cheap plane: Before & After

Won a "Cheap plane" on the Feebay. It arrived today. IMAG0047.jpgA Stanley #5-1/5 Type 19. for less than $17, total. Had a few issuesIMAG0048.jpgA-yup. Took it apart, and then to the shop, after dumping out a few spider nest and other junk. Spent a nice quiet afternoon down in the shop. Brought the almost finished item back upstairs for bettter light. IMAG0051.jpgDecided I didn't like my handles to be painted, either. Yep, same big old plane. Smooth soledIMAG0054.jpgand shiny partsIMAG0053.jpgThe now naked wood looks like Beech, maybe? japanning has a few rust spots. Otherwise, it just needed a dang good clean up. Iron was flat, and pit free.

Not too bad for just $16.50??

I'm jealous you're lucky I didn't see that lol it wouldn't have been so cheap . It looks great nice job saving it!

The Plane Whisperer is among us!

Regards, Marty
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity" - anon

Nicely done! Curious what method(s) you used to get rid of rust/corrosion. Abrasives or chemicals?

The ultra rare five and fifth! Wow!

Seriously, love it! You made it your own!

The knob looks like maple. Beech has those little tell tale flecks in it. Used many,many board feet of it.

Blog Entries
    Good save on the jumbo jack.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

120 grit on a palm sander for the flat areas, wire wheels on a drill press for other areas.

Seems to do quite well, even on Red OakIMAG0087.jpgYep, work very nicely. Question is: At one time, I had a Union #5A. About the same size plane as this Stanley one. Never could get it to work like this. Strange.

Blog Entries
    So it is actually a 5 1/4 right. I am irritated that I missed that one too. I would have run the bid up myself if I had found it, grrr been shopping 5, 5 1/4 and 6 type planes for weeks without finding a deal like that. I guess Steve is "tha man"!

actually this is a 15" long plane with a 2-3/8" wide iron. Called a Jumbo Jack or a #5-1/2 About halfway berween the #5s and the #6s.

It's effectively a short 7. I love mine.

Blog Entries
    Ahh, the wide body 5, nice! I guess I need to have my eyes checked again and I just paid all that money for these expensive transition, progressive lenses too!