Thread: spraying cabinet doors

spraying cabinet doors

I am spraying Endoru-Var, but I am sure my question would be applicable to just about any product.

My technique for shooting something like a door is to use a peice of plywood with screws in all 4 corners so the door can dry on it with very small indents. I spray the back side then flip it and shoot the sides and front, which is now up.

Gravity is our friend when it comes to causing Enduro-Var to flow out. since the inside of the door was shot first and immediately flipped that surface tends to not flow out as nice as the outside of the door (up now)

I am thinking maybe I should shoot the inside and let it sit for just a few minutes, it does not take long for E.V. to flow out real nice, then flip and shoot the rest?

Anyone have their own technique for what I am talking about? It's not that big of a deal, I am just trying to get the best spray job I can.

I use Target products and follow the same process you do. As I usually have several-to-many doors to do at a time, by the time I work my way from one end to the other, the first doors are ready to be flipped. I do use the "pinky finger touch test" on the back of the first door if I don't have many to do (as in re doing a screwed-up door after the whole job is finished) and wait until the pinky finger touches a "tacky" surface before flipping. At that point, I hate to mess up a decent job just by being in a hurry. It took me a few "why did I do that" events to get that point into my hard head though.
    David

Try a little bit less pressure. I flip immediately after spraying and never have an issue. I spray 3 light coats on almost everything that I put GF Enduro Var on. IME that is the way to go. The first coat generally doesn't look too hot, but by the time the third has been applied everything is nice and even.

Thnaks David, I am thinking that is what I am going to lean towards.

Andrew, on my Apollo 1050VR, I am spraying with 6PSI in the window, you think I should try less?

James, I'm not familiar with that particular gun, but I would just experiment a little bit on some scrap the next time you have to spray. Try spraying a board as it's standing. If the finish runs at all it is going on too thick. Sometimes it takes a little while for the runs to happen, but they will.