Thread: Chinese edge plane: Test drive

Cool Chinese edge plane: Test drive

Oil finish is on, wedge has been fine tuned, again. Shavings were sneaking up under it, so a little work done to stop that. Test track is pineIMAG0055.jpg And we have curlie things.IMAG0051.jpg Nice thick iron. Used to be a Harbour Freight Skew Chisel for a lathe. Rounded end WAS where the tang used to be. Bolts through the fence, into the bodyIMAG0052.jpg yep, this is a bevel down plane. Maybe 6 hours to make in MY shop. Cuts on the push, haven't tried the pull, yet

I guess this would be used as a Skew Rebate Plane? I think I can set it for almost 1" width of cut, too. Being a "Chinese" model, would I be setting thins in Metric for width....

Since this is a bevel down, single iron set up, do I add a back bevel to it? Also, would a bit of candle wax hlep it to slide along better? Have tried as a push style only, not sure IF it will work on a pull stroke...

back bevel only if you have tearout. Where you get tearout won't be quite as simple to figure out as it would've been with a straight iron, but you should be able to shear cross grain shavings cleanly with the skew.

So far, so goodIMAG0057.jpgwalnut might be a bit nastyIMAG0058.jpgbut, I think the "new guy" had a bit of help making a messIMAG0060.jpgthe mess, andIMAG0059.jpgthe Usual Suspects. Might have to lock them up....