Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Media Cabinet in Cherry

Blog Entries

Media Cabinet in Cherry

Another household item for myself. I got tired of discs, speakers and equipment lying around like unloved step children. Cherry with walnut accents. Oil/varnish blend finish. Over travel drawers hold 100's of discs and the fabric in the doors lets the remote control work.

Media Cabinet (172).jpg

Walnut spline detail on breadboard ends. Also, walnet trim detail above and below doors and below drawers.

Media Cabinet (173).jpg

Shop made pulls.

Media Cabinet (174).jpg . Media Cabinet (175).jpg

Fun with sap wood on the front stiles and feet.

Media Cabinet (176).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Great looking cabinet and great craftsmanship......
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Blog Entries
    I agree with Von. Great looking original piece.

Excellent ! I love the handles and the splines.

Really sharp, Glen. Great work as usual. Those handles are a great idea. Nice nod to the Greene bros.

Not a big fan of the cardboard feet, though

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys. The speakers are crowding it and so have been moved. The little white thingy's under the feet are carpet spikes to keep it from sinking into the carpet until I find it's permanent spot. There are adjustable feet under each foot that will come into play.

– Samuel Butler

Nicely done, you did that pretty cherry justice. 2 questions, Is the whole piece solid cherry as it appears? And are those Polk 10's ?
    Last edited by Jon Grider; 05-19-2014 at 4:37 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Grider View Post
    Nicely done, you did that pretty cherry justice. 2 questions, Is the whole piece solid cherry as it appears? And are those Polk 10's ?
    It is all cherry except the walnut pulls and accents. Inside the carcass I did use two applied birch ply panels on the inside left and right sides to support the shelf pin for the shelf. I left these the natural light birch color (under shellac) to increase visibility on the rare occasions I need to poke around in there.

Media Cabinet (171).jpg

– Samuel Butler

Very nice work, Glenn..Love the cherry.
    Jerry

Glen -

Nice.

Tell me how you deal with expansion of the top v breadboard in terms of the spline?

What is glued, what has elongated holes, where does the slippage/movement take place with respect to the spline?

Like the looks of that joinery detail - a lot.

'NUther one of your things I intend to steal, someday.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Very nice contrast and excellent workmanship.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Glen -

Nice.

Tell me how you deal with expansion of the top v breadboard in terms of the spline?

What is glued, what has elongated holes, where does the slippage/movement take place with respect to the spline?

Like the looks of that joinery detail - a lot.

'NUther one of your things I intend to steal, someday.
    The breadboard is pegged to a tongue at each end of the top panel from below in three places. The peg hole in the front is just slightly oversized, the middle and rear peg holes are short slots. This encourages the movement to be toward the rear which is open and will allow more than expected movement of the top. You can see the rear construction of this joint in this progress shot:

Media Cabinet (181).jpg

To be on the safe side and assure a long and trouble free life the spline is glued to the top's tongue only. If the forward portion of the top were to expand or contract, the spline moves in the breadboard mortise. Here's a shot of one of the mortise pairs being worked. You can sort of see that the tongue extends well into the breadboard. The the thin remaining breadboard portions are recessed a bit further and the spline is glued to the edge of the tongue.

Media Cabinet (121).jpg

I don't know that I described that well but, here's an x-ray diagram. the end result is that the spline moves with the top and is not attached to the breadboard.

Media Cabinet (180).jpg

Here's a couple more shots of the completed piece showing the chatoyancy with a differing viewing and light angle. This characteristic makes the surfaces seem to ripple as you pass by. Kinda fun.

Media Cabinet (178).jpg . Media Cabinet (179).jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 06-02-2014 at 12:02 AM. Reason: sp

– Samuel Butler

I live in the south but I'm from the north.
    Glen
    Beautiful piece and finish. Excellent style and proportions. Cherry is so warm and rich looking. I use cherry quite a bit. I have a method of matching new pieces with old ones without stain if you ever need too. I have been making furniture for over 30 years so sometimes that salmon color needs a little help along the aging road to beauty to fit with other pieces in the room.

Don

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Huffer View Post
    Glen
    Beautiful piece and finish. Excellent style and proportions. Cherry is so warm and rich looking. I use cherry quite a bit. I have a method of matching new pieces with old ones without stain if you ever need too. I have been making furniture for over 30 years so sometimes that salmon color needs a little help along the aging road to beauty to fit with other pieces in the room.

Don
    Thanks Don. I did 'sun tan' a few parts that were on the light side. I am always anxious to tap into any experience others have to offer. A post on your method would be helpful to me and any of our members working in cherry. I prefer to avoid colorants if possible so I would definitely appreciate hearing more about your methods .

– Samuel Butler

Nice piece you made!