Thread: Mixing Dyes

Mixing Dyes

Can you mix brands of dyes together provided they are both liquid or powder and can be mixed in the same solvent?

Can you mix liquid and powder dye together provided they can both be mixed in the same solvent?

Thanks

George

In general yes, but the answer is specific to the dyes you are using.

If you are talking about Transfast and Transtint, then you can blend them both into water.

However, blending dyes requires precision and repeatability to a degree that can just get a little dicey with the Transtint dropper.

If you are blending, I suggest you check out WD Lockwood powders. You can get a sampler set of 5 dyes. They have a million colors that will get you close to your target. You can make liquid concentrates of each, and then do your blending and diluting extremely accurately and cheaply in water.

The problem I have with powder dyes is you have to weigh them to get the right amount of dye powder for the amount of solvent (water) you want to mix. I do not have a scale that will weigh to the quarter ounce. Liquid I can measure with a syringe or measuring spoon.

George

Not true. You can either use small measuring spoons and measure by volume or (like me) you can arbitrarily make a concentrated solution in water and use that just like you use the transtint with yr droppers and whatnot.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 05-16-2014 at 9:37 AM.

George,
    Harbor Freight has a cheap digital scale that's fine for something like this:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-gr...ale-60332.html

Just don't trust it for reloading ammunition - or anything similar where that level of precision is required.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Thanks for all the responses. I will visit my local HF and pick up a digital scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Not true. You can either use small measuring spoons and measure by volume.
    Yep. I have a couple sets of cheap measuring spoons - couple dollars each. 1/8 tsp is a pretty doggone small amount, all things considered. I use them for both powder and liq dyes.

ROughly 100 drops to a tsp - or 12 to 1/8 tsp.

Fortunately, SWMBO has a nice digital scale in the kitchen - which I use for small batches of shellac.

"No Dear - it's fine. I put down wax paper first. Plus shellac is non-toxic. Yes, I'm certain."
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Here's the best solution I've found...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Measuring-St...item4ad4980b1f

They are way less than an 1/8 of a teaspoon.
    1/24 1/32 and 1/60 IFRC
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

I use those too. And in particular, I love the names of the sizes like tad, dash, pinch, etc... They work well for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Holmes View Post
    Here's the best solution I've found...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Measuring-St...item4ad4980b1f

They are way less than an 1/8 of a teaspoon.
    1/24 1/32 and 1/60 IFRC
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.