Thread: Unloading the new planer without a forklift...

Unloading the new planer without a forklift...

Like it or not, I decided to go with the Grizzly 453z planer. I went to the Muncy showroom to pick it up for two reasons: one to save shipping costs by >50%, and two, as an excuse to go on a ride. I got home and ran into a problem I knew I'd have but purposely ignored: how to unload a 700 pound machine without a forklift. With a sketchy tie up and a bucket tractor, thankfully it was successfully unloaded.

image.jpg

Are those if us with basement shops that live in the 'burbs supposed to feel bad for you having access to a tractor? 😉

I took mine apart as much as I could and still struggled with it. Just the business end weighs a couple hundred pounds but is hard doing it solo. Wouldn't be with two people since it has lifting handles.

Congrats on your new toy!

Just need to get forks for tractor and next Time no hassle.

Congrats and enjoy, may it serve you well. I was going to mention in that other post that while I love the casadie planer at work, I'm working with a 25yr old DC-380 at home, gentleman I bought it from used to make "pallet furniture" from recycled furniture, didn't always find all the nails.......my bed looks corrugated, but I scraped it smooth, its flat, and the old beater sets up at least as accurate as the best planer I've used. I had to adjust all four posts and pretty much every other other setting once, has held them for over 7 years. Byrd head on it now. Its not as quick as the best planers for a variety of reasons, but it keeps up with my home needs. I'm mentioning all this because IMO your new planer should be a big step up from there, and there is already pretty good. I look forward to your review and pics with saw dust included!

Congrats.. Enjoy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Are those if us with basement shops that live in the 'burbs supposed to feel bad for you having access to a tractor? 
    Like Matt, my 453Z planer is in the basement. The struggle was worth it, though.

Enjoy that new planer. You can now plane highly figured woods without chipping!
    Last edited by Dave Verstraete; 05-18-2014 at 10:10 AM. Reason: correct spelling
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Verstraete View Post
    Like Matt, my 453Z planer is in the basement. The struggle was worth it, though.

Enjoy that new planer. You can now plane highly figured woods without chipping!
    My basement is nice and big and we don't use it; would make a great shop. Problem though is that we don't have outdoor access to the basement. Everything would have to go in through the house, make it around a few corners, and go down the angled staircase. Hauling equipment down would be a hassle to begin with, but so would bringing down stock, I would probably have to precut it just to make it down the stairs

I was getting a headache looking at the pic sideways
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Are those if us with basement shops that live in the 'burbs supposed to feel bad for you having access to a tractor? 
    Yes.

When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    I look forward to your review and pics with saw dust included!
    I will definitely leave a review of the machine when I actually get around to using it. Today I got most of it put together... Next steps are clearing out more space in the shop and installing a Nema 6-20 circuit. I expect to have it ready to go by next weekend. My only complaints so far are the globs of grease all over it (which I guess is required to protect the exposed surfaces) and the poor paint quality. It's mostly cosmetic and not bad, so I'm not even going to make an effort to exchange it, but the stickers that show the model number are pealing off the body and there are some spots on the machine where the paint is flaky and there's rust. The rust spots are small and on the body, not the machining surfaces, so I may contact Grizzly to get paint to "touch up" with, but like I said, if it comes down to bringing the machine back, it's not worth it

After wrestling a 1100lb bandsaw off the truck, down a flight of stairs into my basement with nothing but some 2x6s and a car jack yesterday, I don't feel bad for you with the bucket tractor.

I own this planer and have used it for over 10000 bd ft. I think I have one tooth that needs to be rotated. It's served me well as a 1-2 man cabinet shop.

Out of the box it wasn't dialed in. Boards would "walk" right to left from the in feed side. I initially thought the feed roller was out of alignment as it made the most sense (at the time). Turns out, the table was high on the right about 0.02".

An hour and a roll of paper towels will get it cleaned up. Another hour or 2 for calibrating and you'll be eating wood without hearing protection. I can stand next to my while it's taking 1/16" and have a conversation without shouting.
    -Lud

F.A.O. Schwartz has nothing on a Grizzly showroom, huh? Lotsa toys.

Tractors and big tools, yes.

I'd snap a picture of the peeling stickers and flaked paint and email it to tech service. I know they'll send the touch-up paint right out (small can, no spray paint), don't know if they have replacement model-no. stickers in Springfield. Enjoy the new machine!

David
    Last edited by David C. Roseman; 05-19-2014 at 7:56 AM.

I do it all the time.

I've a beam that I hooked a Harbor Freight 2 ton hoist over in my "woodshop" shed. I back my dually in, hook up and hoist. Drive truck away and lower the equipment down onto a pallet then move it around with a pallet jack. Easy.

I've dealt with the "basement syndrome", the "up a flight of stairs" method. No more I hope.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Setting up a workshop, from standing tree to bookshelves