Thread: Advice on Bandsaw

Advice on Bandsaw

I am looking for a BS 16” to 18” and I like to spend up to $1000. There is plenty of stuff on the web on Jet, Delta & Grizzly but not much on the Rikon 18”. Woodcraft is selling it for $1000 and will have a 10% discount next month. Anybody with experience on this one or any other option I may have missed?

Based on what I have heard.................

Rikon has had very positive reviews on their 18 inch model. A few months ago, Jet had a close out on the old version of their bandsaw, and Minimax had a $999 deal on the E16?. I am guessing that the minimax is the best deal for the money, but I don't think a good introductory price is available anymore. The Grizzly is solid if you are trying to save a buck or two, but the Rikon is more saw for the extra money.
    If at 1st you don't succeed, go back to the lumberyard and get some more wood.

FWW really liked the Rikon in their review, and MM has super customer service.

Hi Effie,
    I've had the Rikon 18 for several months now and feel it is a great value. I just finished resawing ~~ 100ft of old posts to make outdoor benches and, using a Lenox Bimetal Varitooth blade ($57), all the cuts turned out great. I have had two minor problems, one popped spot weld and one stripped thread, and the customer service response was excellent. For the $$$ I think it's one of the best deals out there .. The only addition I would like, and would be willing to pay more for now that I've used the machine a while, is a foot brake/switch. Other than that, I recommend the Rikon as a good buy. Good luck, John.

Effie. I've had the Rikon 18" for a few months now, and don't regret the purchase at all. The only problem that I had was a flakey starting cap in the very beginning, and Rikon was excellent in getting me a new one.
    I posted two reviews when I got it, here are the links. I haven't really changed my opinion of it. For the $$$ it was a great buy.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=16852

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=17055

Thanks guys, as usual a lot of great information. I will take another hard look at Woodcraft and make a decision.

Effie.

I've had the Rikon for about 6 months. I bought it last time Woodcraft had it on sale. It was around $850. (I get an in-store discount for teaching classes from time to time)

Overall, I like the saw. The power and quality can't be beat for the price. It has a couple features that you have to pay big $$ for on other saws, or as add-ins.

First it comes standard with Carter style bearing blade guides. They work great, and the quality of cut is good. It also comes standard with a blade quick-release for fast detensioning or blade changes.

The fence comes off quick for easy blade changes.

Improvements:

The blade that comes with the saw is trash. Get a Timberwolf or other high-quality blade. Don't even use the one that comes with it.

The fence. Mine wasn't square to the table. (perpendicular). I contacted Rikon and they sent a new one straight away. The problem was that the new one wasn't any good either. At that point I gave up and bought a piece of Kreg fence for $40. With a little drilling and a trip to Lowes for hardware, I was able to adapt the Kreg fence to the Rikon hardware. so it's like factory original, only much better.

As a comparison, I went to Woodcraft and measured all their large bandsaws for perpendicular fence. The Jet, Delta, and Rikon fences all had problems, so any way you go, you may need to correct a problem.

The table trunion could be beefier, but it's still good, especially considering the price.

Really a great saw for the money.

Effie, since you are looking in the right price range, take a look at the 17" Bridgewood bandsaw. I've got one and I think it is a lot of saw for the price. I know a couple other people who have purchased them and they are quite pleased also.

-Alden

Another happy Rikon 18 owner. I suggest you read the threads that Mike has given you.

Adam, I shimmed my fence square to the table with 3 thiknesses of blue tape on the outside edge where it adjusts (took about 15 minutes till it was the way I wanted it.

I bought a 3/4" Wood Slicer Blade from Highland Hardware and it cuts really well.

This weekend I ripped everything (as I currently have an 8 foot tall corner cupboard on my table saw for alignment) with good results (a quick pass over the jointer and I still have more wood that the 1/8" kerf.)

I also did some notching, resawing, shim making, basically everything but crosscuts.

Add up the cost of all the accessories and it's cheaper still.

Adam, care to post a pic of the rigged up fence??

I too am am 18 Rikon owner. Spent this past weekend cutting 2 x 4s in half for a coffee table project (pics to come) and could not have been more pleased.

Used a timberwolf blade and ran it through like a table saw without problem.