Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone have wheels on their workbench?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Noles
    I found this set of wheels for a TS that looks like it might just work on a workbench with a little install effort.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx...&FamilyID=3703

What pro and cons do y'all think there may be with this?
    Bob, those might work depending on your situation but they don't specify a weight rating. I'd find that out first before ordering them.

I would also like to add that Grizzly has a GREAT selection of casters and they appear to better than what Harbor Freight has and for the same money.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 06-29-2005 at 1:15 PM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Thumbs up Try Woodcraft Retractable Tablesaw Casters

I used a set of 4 retractable casters (approximately $40) from Woodcraft that were designed for contractor style tablesaws. Replace the mounting bracket with a wood wedge to get the correct angle. This was an idea that I saw in Wood Magazine a while back and thought I would try when I built my new bench since, like most, I'm space constrained.

Charlie

This has been a really good thread and some great ideas suggested. Even though I did not initiate the thread I want to thank everyone for the ideas.

As most already know, my workbench weighs 500+ pounds and there are times I would like to be able to move it if for no other reason than to sweep under it. I really like the idea of rectractable wheels wheras the bench can sit level and solid on the floor after making the journey.

Good job everyone!

Grizzly is a good source for the double locking casters.

I have also used a chock - 3/4" stock "U" made to fit two fixed casters on an end with the bottom of the "U" beveled at 45 degrees. I haven't tried it on swivel casters, but it should work.

Woodcraft caster capacity

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Barnes
    I used a set of 4 retractable casters (approximately $40) from Woodcraft that were designed for contractor style tablesaws. Replace the mounting bracket with a wood wedge to get the correct angle. This was an idea that I saw in Wood Magazine a while back and thought I would try when I built my new bench since, like most, I'm space constrained.

Charlie
    This is the reply from Woodcraft answering the question of how strong they are:

141550 is rated 150 pounds each or 600 pounds for four.

I asked their customer support for the capacity of the casters last night. Their reply came in this morning.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi