Thread: Rocking Chair

Rocking Chair

I recently finished this rocking chair as a college graduation gift for my daughter.

P5080602.jpg P5080605.jpg P5080609.jpg P5080613.jpg P5080622.jpg

According to my notes, I started this last June and have 160 hours into it. The sculpting/shaping was a stretch for a flat-boarder like me, but I'm pleased with how it turned out. More importantly, my daughter is happy with it.

I built the rocker from plans by Charles Brock. His DVD shows a lot of the shaping being done with a grinder, but I chose more of a hand tool approach. I carved the seat with gouges and a travisher. Everything else was done with spokeshaves, rasps, a Microplane (with curved and flat blades), and Iwasaki carving files. And of course, lots of sanding.

Bryce, that's an absolutely gorgeous rocker. The transitions are masterful and the curves graceful. Those are the best shaped armrests I've seen. There's a lot of hand shaping in that beautiful chair.

Great job on the Maloof rocker,walnut really looks the best for such a timeless piece.You really the proportions correctly done.Thanks for sharing.

Looks fabulous, nice attention to grain on the seat!
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Stunning work!

A beautiful heirloom gift.

Enjoy Life...

Outstanding. Excellent job.

Thanks to everyone for the compliments. This rocker took a real commitment to staying with it over the long haul. I may build another one some day, but not for a while - I need a few simple projects that I can finish in a reasonable length of time. I like to think that a piece like this will stay in the family for generations and mean something because I made it.

I did a Brock chair as well. I guess I spent 200+ hrs on it, plus about $4500 in new tools etc to build it.

That's a beautiful chair. I bet that will be passed down in your family for generations.

Wow!
    That sure is beautiful. Reach around and give your self a pat or two or two thousand!