Thread: Cabinet doors

Cabinet doors

I'm building some shop cabinets, and I'm trying to design some doors that would lend themselves to storage on the inside surface. I don't want to have to worry about wood movement so I'm thinking about making a 1" thick( so i can put a little profile on it) x 2" wide face frame and building it around 3/4" plywood making the inside surface flat. Probably gonna use pocket screws but I have considered doing a tongue and groove all around for the frame and panel. Any cautions or other ideas? Thanks! Jess
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

For shop cabinets, you could leave the stiles and rails off the doors, and just run a profile on the 3/4" plywood door.

A lot of kitchen cabinets were built in the 60's & 70's with no frames around the doors. They also make a molding that you can run around 3/4" plywood doors that will give you a 3/8" off-set.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

I built some el-cheapo cabinet doors for some shop cabinets using 3/4" plywood slabs, with 1/4" strips 2" wide glued around the perimeter to give the illusion of framed cabinets doors. Cheap but effective.
    For a kitchen island project currently in progress, I made some 3/4" rails/stiles with a 1/4" groove to house half inch thick rabbeted plywood panels, flat face forward. I just used the Rockler dowel jig on each corner to connect the wood. Strong and looks OK. They will be painted. Simple but effective.