Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dowels or biscuits?

dowels or biscuits?

Any preference? I know some of you guys are strictly mortise/tenon and dovetail, but I'd like to hear some opinions on doweling jigs and/or biscuit joiners. What's the best joinery for face frames, etc.?

Blog Entries

Storngest joint

By far the strongest joint you can use for face frames is a lap joint. I use them in all my face frames. They have the added advantage of holding the frame square as you glue it up if you have cut the pieces square to start. I use a dado blade or just the regular cross cut blade to cut the dados and use the Delta tenoning jig to cut the half laps on the ends.

The kreg jig would probably be the fastest and next strongest joint you could use. Dowels and biscuits would be a distant 3rd in my opinion.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I've made frames with both and have not used dowels since. Biscuits are much more forgiving then dowels, they are also much wider and may not be suitable for thin styles etc on the frames. Take a look at sizes that a given joiner will use. As the others have said, there are better options out there but of the 2 I prefer biscuits.

Your question appears to be specific to face frames so, I would suggest and alternative option to dowels and biscuts; Kreg jig and screws. I own a Kreg and use it often. It is fast, precise and very strong.

Chris

I agree with Chris regarding face frames. Pocket screws work great

Face Frame? Pocket screws and glue for me! I do use biscuits to provide alignment when assembling them to a carcass, but not for building the frames, themselves. 'Never have used dowels and likely will not.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

For face frames with solid lumber, POCKET SCREWS. Fast, easy, and strong. For attatching the face frame, I prefer BISQUITS. I used to use a doweling jig years ago, and somtimes you get flex in the drill bit, or jig, causing mis-alignment. That dowel jig NEVER sees daylight out of my toolbox...

Strength wise, long, long ago, when I was a young un-educated woodworker, I built my first table using dowels to attatch the aprons to the legs... Didn't last a much more than a year... Also used dowels to attatch the spindles of a headboard for a bed. Due to wood movement, the dowel joints separated within six months, but the rest of the frame held solid with half-laps.
    Go Big, or Go Home... He who has the gold, makes the rules

Believe me pocket screws............ I'm in the middle of a kitchen redo, I've built 10 face frames already nothing could be easier... BTW the bench mounted clamp works much better in keeping the faces flat..

Pocket screws for face frames. I generally use dowels for glued up panels. Not as forgiving as biscuits but recently I have had a run of bad luck with getting panels to glue up flat using biscuits and ended up sanding so much that my 3/4" panels ended up at about 1/2" at the seams. Never again - writing off biscuits for my doweling jig.

I found just the opposite, which probably proves it's my doweling technique...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tempel
    Pocket screws for face frames. I generally use dowels for glued up panels. Not as forgiving as biscuits but recently I have had a run of bad luck with getting panels to glue up flat using biscuits and ended up sanding so much that my 3/4" panels ended up at about 1/2" at the seams. Never again - writing off biscuits for my doweling jig.

Face Frames

POCKET SCREWS!! The only answer with today's technology! R.I.P my beautiful DeWalt biscuit joiner. Lastly, in my humble opinion, there is no such thing as a "good" doweling jig. If you must use dowels, use dowel pins! Just a thought.

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Blog Entries
    "there is no such thing as a "good" doweling jig."

sure there is. its called a craftsman turret.....jack
    Attached Images Attached Images

Doweling jig

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren

Jack,
    Sorry!! No offense intended. I haven't looked at doweling jigs since I bought my biscuit machine. Now, with pocket holes, biscuits are more or less in my past. I make my own pocket hole plugs and even if they are visible, I think that they look kind of cool and quite professional. It's not fact. It's only personal preference. In any event, I stick with my comment on dowel pins.

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren

I'm not familiar with the jig you mentioned but if someone is interested in a really excellent "dowelling jig" be sure to have a look at the Mafell Duo-Dowel System.

Regards,

Christian
    "On Wednesday, when the sky is blue,
    And I have nothing else to do,
    I sometimes wonder if it's true
    That who is what and what is who."

(A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh)