Thread: Hooking shopvac to TableSaw for DC?

Hooking shopvac to TableSaw for DC?

Just curious how many of you use this type of DC instead of full blown system..

I have a Fein vacuum that I attach to the BS port...but was looking at a new TS so needed some input.

How well does it work? Any tricks & tips.........??

Thanks all!

Well yes sort of?

I am using a Royobi BT3100 and use my shop vac since the port is 2.5".
    It definately helps, with the shrouded blade it will throw dust clear across the shop w/o. If you have a full blown saw, while it would help it may not work as well? I definately need a blade guard with collection topside as well.

I'm using a plain ol' Shop Vac brand vaccuum attached to the dust shroud underneath my Ridgid TS3650, and it does a pretty respectable job of keeping sawdust off the floor. I still get some on the table, and a bit of blow-by onto the floor, but it's way better than nothing.

- Vaughn

I don't know what kind of saw you have and if attaching a shop vac would provide efficient dust collection but I used my Festool vac along with mobile table saws (Elektra Beckum and Festool) and was basically satisfied with the result. Of courese, the efficiency also depends on "external" factors, for example, dust will be blown around the whole shop when the saw blade isn't covered by wood.
    If you use your saw extensively, it might be helpful to install a cyclone system combined with the vac.

Hope this helps,

Christian
    "On Wednesday, when the sky is blue,
    And I have nothing else to do,
    I sometimes wonder if it's true
    That who is what and what is who."

(A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh)

Hi:

I have a dewalt 746x table saw with a shop vac and the 2" vac hose connected to the saw.
    I only use that shop vac on the table saw and I use a zero clearance throat plate, the saw dust is minimal.
    I use the big collector on the other machines.
    Start square and you will finish square

I've got a Jet contractor type saw mounted on a homemade cart with a V-shaped dust chute and port. I use my shop vac to contain the dust and it does a fair job. Sealing up the back of the saw would make it more effective.

I have a tablesaw & Fein vacuum set up.

Its not dust free, but its a lot less dusty than when I forget to turn on the vacuum.

--
    John Cavanaugh

Thanks for the replies all.........

I plan on getting a contractor .....maybe a cabinet.......with enclosed chute that has a 4" vent system. I realize the Fein/shopvac isn't the best setup-- but sounds like its fairly adequate and certainly better than nothing..

I noticed that a cabinet saw hooked up to dedicated DC really keeps a clean top...pulls it all down very nicely..cetainly the top way to go

Roy,

ai'm running a Ridgid shop vac on my TS3650 and it does a pretty good job.

Lou
    Procrastination.......

Maybe I'll think about that tomorrow

I have a PowerMatic 64A Contractor saw. I enclosed the top half of the stand on all four sides, and framed in the original 4" plastic dust port for the bottom. I made a stopper plug for the dust port, and let the sawdust fall into the box. About 90% of the dust is collected. There's an access door on the side to clean out the box. It really works good! Well worth the time and effort. If necessary, I can remove to thumb screws and remove the back to tilt the blade. See my web page for more pictures.

-Don

Nice pics Don.........so you can use a vacuum or just let it collect a little and then clean later.........?

Nice work!

so you can use a vacuum or just let it collect a little and then clean later.........?
    I don't use a vacuum, just empty the box as needed. There are other ways to enclose a contractror saw: Bags for the area behind the motor, and bags for under the saw.

-Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don Stanley
    See my web page for more pictures.

-Don
    Don,

You are killing me here. My todo list is already way too big. Now I have to find time to build your excellent project for my Dewalt tablesaw...

--
    John Cavanaugh