Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What did you work on today? My laser totally rocked!

The rocks look great!
    What were your engraving settings and did you put anything on the rocks before lasering or were they just straight under the laser to do?

Funnily enough I had actually just before looking at this thread been looking through for a Christening gift idea and one of the gifts I came across was: http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/le...stening-pebble

I just went back and looked for any other ideas where a pebble is being used and spotted these:
    http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/le...onogram-pebble
    http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/le...ngraved-pebble

Hopefully they could give you some extra inspiration for possible ideas to do with your endless supply of rocks
    Trotec Speedy 300 80W

Love that train Dave!
    Hehe, I was actually thinking it would be fun to take some rocks to a beach and just leave them for people to find. I too imagined the head scratchings of future archaeologists. I actually have a minor in Archaeology...I would enjoy creating confusion. Glen those petroglyph rocks are pretty cool. I visited the Pech Merle caves in France a couple of years ago and saw the cave paintings there. They are similar. It is so amazing to look at that art on the cave wall and think about those ancient artists.
    Mark, I'm not sure of the engrave settings as I'm not near my notebook or the machine but it is painstakingly slow. They just went straight into the laser as is, and right out again. Those initials look to be sandblasted into those notonthehighstreet rocks but I could do them in a similar fashion. My problem is I have learned over the years of having my business that I shouldn't take custom orders. I just like to make what I feel like making! iI works for me, waaaay less pressure. That being said, I better get to work!
    Logilase Prime 40w

Mac OSX Lion and Snow Leopard
    Windows 7

Photoshop CS6
    Illustrator CS6
    Corel (I try!)

For what it's worth, Mark, those stones are relatively deeply engraved by sand blasting. While you can achieve some depth by lasering, mostly you are just changing the surface color with little or no perceptible depth using a CO2 laser.

Thanks Mike!
    Vytek L Star 75 Watt Co2 Laser 48"x96"
    Chem Etch
    Illustrator CS5
    Photoshop CS5 Extended
    Corel Draw X5
    Photograv

Laserworx 8

Laser Etcher.
    Graphic Designer, Retoucher and Photographer.

I will look into that! Sounds like a fun experiment.
    Vytek L Star 75 Watt Co2 Laser 48"x96"
    Chem Etch
    Illustrator CS5
    Photoshop CS5 Extended
    Corel Draw X5
    Photograv

Laserworx 8

Laser Etcher.
    Graphic Designer, Retoucher and Photographer.