Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need a new exhust fan

Hi Rich,

The motor is usually in the vortex at the rear of the fan (outlet side) so dust / crud isn't usually a problem. On my inlines I just drop them out and wash with a pressure washer usually.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

It looks like a couple of you are already using inline fans, but did you read the specs???

218 CFM @ 1.5" (max)

That's 1.5" max static pressure, not the typical 6"-8" requirement.

Is changing the ducting from 8-12" inline fan down to 4" duct increasing the static pressure to the requirements?

If so, how do you know the reduced duct size is close to the required static pressure and CFM ?

Guessing?

If calculating, mind sharing the formula?

@Rich,

Pressure washer?!
    Are they waterproof?
    ULS M-300 30W, CorelDraw X4

Rob, IP55 on most models, not good for submersion but will take pretty much anything else done sensibly.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

I often wash simple electronic devices, provided they are something that I can be sure will dry thoroughly. For example I have a humidifier (fan type, not ultrasonic) that I will yearly toss in the dishwasher. The first time was out of frustration because it was so difficult to get clean, after it was a success I do it every time it needs cleaning - it even has a small electronics board in it that has suffered no ill effects. Which reminds me, it is that time of year again...

Water is often not nearly as hazardous to electronics as you would think. The key is to not allow any power to run through it until it has been thoroughly dried. It does't always work but my experience it does work more often than not.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harman View Post
    I often wash simple electronic devices, provided they are something that I can be sure will dry thoroughly. For example I have a humidifier (fan type, not ultrasonic) that I will yearly toss in the dishwasher. The first time was out of frustration because it was so difficult to get clean, after it was a success I do it every time it needs cleaning - it even has a small electronics board in it that has suffered no ill effects. Which reminds me, it is that time of year again...

Water is often not nearly as hazardous to electronics as you would think. The key is to not allow any power to run through it until it has been thoroughly dried. It does't always work but my experience it does work more often than not.
    Yup, my PC keyboards get rotated once a month for a trip into the sink

10 days in the drier and back into use, as yet in 10 years not a problem.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

hi all
    here is a picture from my exaust setup. I use a 500CFM inline fan from hydrophonic ( ebau $85) 6 inch and reduced the in and outlet to 4 inch.

I had to put a chicken wire in front of the machine exaust inlet to avoid that small parts would be sucked out.

this system is so quite that the laser machine noice is louder.exaustnew.jpg
    maybe this helps
    greetings waltfl

The classic exhaust fan on the surface will always look like the inexpensive (Home) solution. Suggest you contact your HVAC dealer to understand the excess load all of the Negative Airflow from the laser exhaust is placing on your higher dollar HVAC system. Also never liked the idea of heating & cooling the neighbors yard... There are threads on making a fume extractor or find a BOFA style solution.
    Bob McGinn
    Epilog 45w