Thread: Munro hollower 2

Munro hollower 2

Anyone use the Munro hollower 2 (3/4")?
    just curious if guys that hollow freehand a lot use the munro or similar or prefer traditional cutters?

I am learning to hollow using the Munro and like knowing there is the built-in limiter (guard), but it seems to clog up a lot which takes a lot of time to stop and clear the cutter. Seems most tutorials from the pro's I have seen use regular cutter heads or hunter type carbide cutters?

thanks

I tried one earlier this week and liked it. I had the opportunity to have a four day class with Rudolph Lopez, a two day demo and two days of hands on. He uses the Munro hollower, from his explanation it works better on end grain and does clog up more when hollowing side grain. I liked that it can't catch (or extremely difficult to). In the demo he showed that you could tap the tool on the inside of what you are hollowing and clear the cutter. This was while roughing it out and the walls weren't real thin.

I've hollowed several hundred vessels with the Munro 2. All of which are end grain vessels. I've rarely had any clogging problems, it's designed to be self clearing & it works very well. I do not use it free hand though. I use it in a boring bar from Advanced Lathe tools.
    As far as I'm concerned it's the best cutter out there for end grain hollowing with a boring bar.

I haven't used the Munro, but I have used similar tools. They do have clogging issues in some circumstances. They cut great in end-grain orientations. Nothing like hogging out an end grain vessel with ribbons of wood streaming out of the cut. They don't work nearly as well on side grain (well, they cut well but are not as convenient to use that way). It's nice to have some tool of this type in one's arsenal, but the simpler tools are more versatile.

I like the Munro hollower and have retrofitted it with the Hunter carbide cutter. (A drop in replacement) I had the same issue with clearing the limiter but am now having success without it. Not using it free hand though; I'm using it mounted in the Vicmarc articulated hollower.

Try the Woodcut hollower bit with the brass limiter. Takes out curls as heavy as a 5/8" gouge on the inside of a vase with no clogging(except very green and wet aspen). The cutter is elongated with a longer blade on the side. Been using one for 20 years as deep as 22" on a 1&1/8" controlled bar. A 12" vase will hollow out in an hour easily(green wood) on endgrain. Cleanup on the second turning if needed is 10 minutes and leaves a very clean surface. I can't imagine hollowing on anything else. It is easily adjusted for thick or thin cuts with a cam bolt head. Did I mention this cutter never grabs--important at these depths.
    Last edited by robert baccus; 05-23-2014 at 10:47 PM.

I have three different Munro hollowers, including the newest ("2"). I LOVE THEM ALL!
    Yes, clogging can be an issue, but part of that problem is presentation. When the cutter is dipped a bit low, the cut is thicker than the opening, so I have to PUSH the tool to get it to eject the clog.
    MOST of the time, I use my Munro tools in my Monster hollowing rig. The combination is incredibly controllable and nearly infinite adjustable.
    I'm not CERTAIN, but I may be the first one (certainly one of the first - but THAT'S a long story) to have added the third link which, in my mind makes the tool significantly more useable.
    In any event, in the Monster rig, the tool doesn't really rotate, and the clogging issue is significantly reduced.
    I BELIEVE that the Hunter cutters fit the Munro tool.
    Change One Thing

I have the Hunter cutter in my Munro. I did have to buy the screw from Hunter as well though. There were 2 Munro designs: in the first (older?) the screw attached the cutter from the bottom. In mine, the screw drops in from the top (down through the cutter) holding the cutter in place. It was a plug and play update.

George, I have the Monster (articulated) rig also, and was wondering how the Rolly tool fit on it. What do I have to buy, and what do I not need to buy?

Thanks,
    Kyle

10. got one for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by John Sincerbeaux View Post
    Anyone use the Munro hollower 2 (3/4")?
    just curious if guys that hollow freehand a lot use the munro or similar or prefer traditional cutters?

I am learning to hollow using the Munro and like knowing there is the built-in limiter (guard), but it seems to clog up a lot which takes a lot of time to stop and clear the cutter. Seems most tutorials from the pro's I have seen use regular cutter heads or hunter type carbide cutters?

thanks

I have the Trent Bosch system, but would like to get an old Munro Hollower II for hogging out end grain. Any one got one available or know anyone who does?

Best price I seen for just the cutter head ( does not include the handle or bar though) is from www.advancedlathetools.com Steve could probably make you a bar for it to use with your system if you asked him to. They work great for end grain hollowing.

The 5/8" shank Munro hollower 2 has been replaced with the Munro Wundercutt 10, with some changes in the tip, and a negative rake presentation of the cutter. The 3/4" Munro Hollower still uses the same head as the Hollower 2