Thread: Tenryu?

Tenryu?

Anyone know about the Tenryu table saw blades? I've heard they are a pretty good match for the WWII.

I have used a few, difficult to find sometimes. I like them.

Richard

A very good blade that indeed rivals the WWII. I see them quite frequently around Montana and I believe they run about 15 to 20 % less than the Forrest. I have one on my 81/2 inch SCMS and plan to try one on my 10 inch TS.

I can't believe this, Richard are you sure
    we are not related in a parallel universe?
    Tenryu, Darn fine blade, have one on the RAS
    One of the best, but again you are talking
    top of the line and just how much better
    can one saw blade be from another in the over a 100 dollar range?
    Not much. In my opinion they are worth it. Any of them.
    I am blessed though, I live 20 minutes away from
    Forrest in Clifton. (For sharpening)

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

I also bought one for my PM74. Very nice!! I still like the Freuds for getting a bang for the buck tho. My Tenryu cost 86$

Quote Originally Posted by Per Swenson

I am blessed though, I live 20 minutes away from
    Forrest in Clifton. (For sharpening)

Per
    How is their sharpening service? Locally, I'm always disapointed. They never seem to come back like a brand new blade. Cutting oak all day, I like a fresh blade every three or four weeks.

Richard

Richard ,

I can only make a suggestion.
    Send them one blade.
    Their turn around time for customers in the north east
    (You and me) would be three days.
    When you get the blade back and realize
    what you have been missing, pile all the old saw blades in the truck,
    and 10 minutes over the George left on 17 to 46 you're there.
    really

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Heppeard
    Anyone know about the Tenryu table saw blades? I've heard they are a pretty good match for the WWII.
    I've got the Gold Medal. They are available from Western Tool Supply in the NW. Great blade.

I've only heard good things about Tenryu blades.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Some years ago (Badger Pond Days) I was ask to test drive a Tenryu blade. I found it to be an acceptional blade, bought it at a discount and still have it as a back-up for my WWII on the CS. It was close to being as good as a WWII but not quite there.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Tenryu

I am not going out on a limb here; Tenryu blades are better than Forrest.
    I have a Tenryu 12" GM and Forrest WWII, a bunch of others too, along with their respective dados. In all cases Tenryu are better.
    As far as sharpening goes I have used Forrest when I worked in Fairfield, NJ and I now use Specialty Saw in Simsbury, CT since I live here - Specialty Saw is better than Forrest sharpening.

Phil

test drove wwII and tenryu

The gold series is the comparable series to the WWII. The cnc work on the tenryu seem to give better fit and finish, and cut to me. The tenryu are also individually balanced and tested (the friend of mine I was working with is working directly with Tenryu). This is not to say that the WWII doesn't do the same. I think both are superfine purchases! Also, according to my friend, Tenryu does not like the prices that woodcraft have set for them. If you could possible find them, they are less expensive elsewhere (woodcraft 99, and other around 75-89, although prices fluctuate all the time). Very unfortunate, but woodcraft does give good exposure.
    Sharpening skills, the plane truth.

Have had both and agree with Ken. WWII is just a bit better than their Gold Series 10". My Tenryu had a little fuzz on the backside of 3/4" Baltic Birch and WWII had none. Cutting hairs here as both are real good blades.

Hi Philip~
    Where in CT do you purchase your Tenryu blades? Just discovered a lumber yard in Wallingford that carries them (as well as has old stock of Marples chisels)? I second Specialy Saw for sharpening.

Sounds like a very nice saw blade. BUT....I'm sticking with my Amana and Everlast sawblades. Absolutely great blades and never a problem with any of them!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.