Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leviton 240V w/gnd locking receptacle

Leviton 240V w/gnd locking receptacle

OK, I'm down to needing the 240 volt locking receptacles for the shop rewire. I have found some on the bay, but it's for a lot of 10. I only need 3, but would go for 5 if need be. I asked the seller if he would break up the set, but just got his negative answer today. Where do you all get your locking receptacles? I looked these up on the net, and it looked like one receptacle and one plug would be almost 80.00 plus shipping! I almost bought some of a different brand from HD a couple months ago, but they don't have the cover plates to fit!! The receptacles are about 15.00, seems like the plugs were about that. Employee was confused about it also, but offered no help in finding some. Any way, if anyone has some info on where to get these things, please let me know. Thanks. Jim.

I bought all mine at Home Depot...sometimes you have to scrounge to find the matching outlets, depending on the particular store. You should also try a local electrical supply.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim, I got mine at Home Depot, just make sure you get a matching pair. It's been 3 years, so I don't remember that much, but I think it tells you on one of them which one goes with it. I don't want to sound too confusing, just make sure they both match.

Larry

When I was looking for twist lock cable end plugs and receptacles, I found Cooper brand at Lowes for about 2/3 of the prices at HD. From what I can see, they are just as good. When you get down to it, there really isn't much to these plugs and receptacles, just be sure they are UL approved
    Best Regards, Ken

Note that there are specified plug and outlet models for different amperage outlets. I use the L6-20 which is a 30 amp 240V rated set for all my machinery. all the outlet have 20A breakers and are run on #12 wire. All are short runs of 25' or less from the breaker box.

CPeter

Jim,

Buy the lot of 10, use 5 and sell the other 5. Probably way cheaper than buying the 5 at HD.

Rob

CPeter, L6 20 is a twenty amp. L6 30 is a 30 amp. There is a chart on Hubbels website or P&S Legrand's website. It gives the NEMA numbers for the receptacles, cord caps and plugs.

Charlie

80 bucks for a pair is horrid!

I buy 30 amp, 5 wire hubbles at the local rexall/ryall electrical supply house. I also notice that Home Depot and/Lowes carry these. I did notice that they had Pass & Seymour. Check out www.passandseymour.com for more info and possible hints for dealers. I just bought a 30 amp, 5 wire hubble male plug for about 30 bucks. This is a bit pricey but its also a 5 wire system used for three phase and its hubble.

Go back to the home depot and begin rooting around. The female plug is often sold by itself. It will fit a standard receptacle box. Now often they have covers for these. If not, just go to the local electrical supply house.

I would guesstimate that you can get non-hubbles at the borgs for about $15 dollars to no more than $20 dollars each MAX. And these are 30 amp single phase do-dads. Very likely, you should find this stuff for much less.

Lastly, always pursue the same channels the electrician dudes use. There is some major fluctuation in prices and you need to haggle. Do you have a crescent electrical supply house nearby? Give them a call.

Good Luck...
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell
    Jim,

Buy the lot of 10, use 5 and sell the other 5. Probably way cheaper than buying the 5 at HD.

Rob
    I've thought about that, Rob. But funds are a little tight right now, and I really need to find another way, even though I would prefer to have the Levitons. Got the 110V locking Levitons at a good price off the bay, and in the quantity I needed. I'll go look at Lowes and see what they have. I had enough of the HD units to do all of the 220 and 110 circuits a few months ago in a shopping basket ready to purchase, no covers so I put them all back. Wasn't a problem finding the matching units.
    Now, if anyone out there also needs some of these......

Thanks for all the ideas. Jim.

Tell me exactly what you need. I have some extra stuff arouns here somewhere.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy
    Tell me exactly what you need. I have some extra stuff arouns here somewhere.
    Steve
    Thanks, Steve. I sent you a PM. Jim.

I may also have what you need, or at least one end. I bought several of the plug side on clearance from Sears. Off the top of my head I don't remember much about them.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Thanks, Scott. The one's I'm looking for are pretty weird. 30 amp, 4 conductor (3 plus ground). I priced the one's at Lowe's on the way home this afternoon. About 41.00/combo (receptacle and plug). The ones on the bay are looking better all the time. I guess I could try placing the ones I don't need in the classified section. Several others doing shops and/or wiring. Thanks for everyone's help! Jim.

Jim,

You ran the neutral with all of your 240 V stuff? Normally, that is only done at the dryer due to the light bulb but I suppose other things might need the neutral (hot tub, maybe the A/C). Just curious. All my 240 V twist-lock is 3-conductor including the ground (EGC, green or bare copper wire). The dryer didn't get a twist-lock, just the cheaper straight-blade type of plug/outlet.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

What Chris said...no need for a neutral conductor for these tools. There is no connection for it, so the conductor would go un-used anyway.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...