Thread: PIP: Jack plane

Cool PIP: Jack plane

Made from a Traditional Chinese style. Oak body and handle, wedge in walnut, oil finishIMAG0083.jpgandIMAG0084.jpg awaiting the finish to dry, before the final fettles to make a jack plane like shaving. 18" or so long, iron is 2" wide.

Kudos. Nice looking plane, SN.

I've got a similar jointer made by Terry Gordon.

I'm thinking about a retrofit for the dowel that goes through the body.
    I'm forever catching a pocket or getting it jammed in my thumb when "having at it" at pace.

Yeun Chan modified his plane this way, and I'm working out a similar "saddle"
    that fits behind the blade assembly. I carved my first out of a 4x4 block of soft maple.

I think I'll try retrofitting a wooden doorknob, next time.
    The basic profile is already close to what I'm after.

The example below is beyond my skillset, but you get the idea.

Handplane saddle.jpg

Saw guy made the mouth way too bigIMAG0081.jpgand uneven eyes. Wedge was too short. Got most of that stuff fixed upIMAG0082.jpginstalled a patch to close the mouth up. Made a new, and longer wedge, and adjusted the eyes so they were even. Another test driveIMAG0081.jpgand we have ribbons! Oil finish may need a second coat, but I seem to like the lack of shineIMAG0083.jpg 18" long. Maybe add a bit of camber to the iron? Takes a bot of getting used to when doing the grip for these style of planes. Index fingers of both hand ride alongside the iron, thumbs sit behind the iron, rest of fingers go around the handle. Nothing gets placed out front on the toe.
    Last edited by steven c newman; 05-30-2014 at 1:24 PM.