Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alcohol for shellac

Not a home grown solution, but Behkol is about the perfect mix and it's all I use these days except for French polish. For that, I use hi-test Everclear because I'm breathing the fumes for many hours.

bumping this thread because I'm struggling to find something here in Canada to desolve flakes. 50% of people say isopropyl or methanol, the other half then say don't do it. If neither of those is right and DNA is illegal here, what kind of options am I left with? Thanks guys, for now I use zinsser but I'd love to have more control over the nature of my finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Raphael Weil View Post
    bumping this thread because I'm struggling to find something here in Canada to desolve flakes. 50% of people say isopropyl or methanol, the other half then say don't do it. If neither of those is right and DNA is illegal here, what kind of options am I left with? Thanks guys, for now I use zinsser but I'd love to have more control over the nature of my finish.

I did not read the whole thread from two years ago so........

I recently switched to grain alcohol and am happy with it. I was trying to get away from the DNA fumes etc etc. it is about $30 here for this bottle vs a few dollars for the DNA but it's worth it for me. I have used it on 5 or so projects now and I am happy with the results. I am no finishing expert, still learning, but I don't see a difference with results, just smell. If it is available where you are, give it a whirl.

image.jpg

Behkol can be shipped ,works well, cheaper than pure grain.

Rahael-
    Use Isopropyl (IPA) if you cannot find DNA (ethanol). Rubbing alcohol is IPA + water, so that's not appropriate to use.

IPA is actually a fine choice for thinning shellac even if the DNA is available. It evaporates marginally slower than Ethanol, which means it actually makes wiping a little bit easier. You may notice a little difference when spraying it. If you spray it thicker, it can run. I don't know that from experience. I am deducing that.

I would not and do not use methanol.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Rahael-
    Use Isopropyl (IPA) if you cannot find DNA (ethanol). Rubbing alcohol is IPA + water, so that's not appropriate to use.

IPA is actually a fine choice for thinning shellac even if the DNA is available. It evaporates marginally slower than Ethanol, which means it actually makes wiping a little bit easier. You may notice a little difference when spraying it. If you spray it thicker, it can run. I don't know that from experience. I am deducing that.

I would not and do not use methanol.
    Awesome thanks, I actually have some handy.

Out of curiosity do you agree with the high alcohol % grain alcohol? I've seen others mention it too. The reduction in toxicity is super tempting.

I found DNA! crisis averted