Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chisel guards/protectors?

Chisel guards/protectors?

Okay the other thread where I asked what was in your commando toolbox is so helpful I thought I'd start a different one here.

For the chisels you may carry to a site, how do you protect their edges? All my chisels are older affair which I mostly find at garage sales, or which people give to me. They don't have any sort of the rubber guards.

So I just pack them carefully.

I see there is an outfit selling the rubber guards, but if ever there was a cause that demanded a DIY solution, this is it.

All I've come up with so far is short pieces of rubber tubing, squeezed flat and pushed over the ends. My fear is slipping while trying to get them on, and I'm not sure I'll find the sizes of tubing I'd need.

Any ideas?

Blog Entries
    Leather chisel roll maybe?
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Reasonably priced ones are available: http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/s...om_Chisel_Roll

I store chisels, drill bits, files and rasps and other tools in tool rolls. I get old worn-out jeans or canvas and sew them on my treadle sewing machine. I bet you can do the same or get somebody to do it for you, it's much cheaper and simplier than using leather and you get the exact size you need.
    You can make them so that the tools are stored in both bottom and top or just in the bottom. I'd choose the second option and with chisels I would push the handles inside the pockets and flip the top over the edges so they don't cling against each other. In the first and fourth pictures they put the edges inside, but I fear that might poke a hole through the canvas.

267739646.jpgSharpeningChisels003.jpgmhnoqn4.jpgchisel-roll-beauty.jpg

A simple option if you have only a couple is to take a small off cut a lay the chisel back on it and the put a strip of blue tape to hold it on. The tape can be used for a while before a fresh bit is required.

Worst cut in my shop came from trying to put one of those Greebles
    on the end of a freshly sharpened 3/4" chisel.

It slid clean through the plastic and knicked two fingers on my left hand.
    I didn't even feel it, until later.

Canvas rolls, for me.

Blog Entries
    My wooden tool tote has a divider at one end. There are dowels through the divider to make 4 or 5 separate vertical storage slots. These can hold chisels, screwdrivers, pencils or any other tool that can fit in.

Here it is loaded for some electrical work:

Rack and Saw.jpg

Here is is from the side

Side View.jpg

And from the other end

End View.jpg

Since these images were made a western saw rack has been added to the outside.

Found it:

100_3417.jpg

That is an old picture since the handle on the saw has been repaired for a while.

Not sure if the carving on the top of one side is visible. The dots and dashes are mostly nonsense, but they also include my initials in Morse Code.

When not in use it tends to catch all of my scrap cut offs.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 05-26-2014 at 12:53 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Tool rolls aren't really ideal, I only bring two chisels and often don't even have a work surface where I could unroll the thing.

How about binder clips? I thought of those today and did some googling and found the Lee Valley solution (which is nice and maybe worth it to me) but someone mentioned binder clips, too.

http://toolmonger.com/2010/12/08/you...chisel-guards/

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    How about binder clips? I thought of those today and did some googling and found the Lee Valley solution (which is nice and maybe worth it to me) but someone mentioned binder clips, too.
    As with so many of the great ideas presented to me in the Creek,
    obvious in retrospect, but overlooked for ages - why didn't I think of that.

Kudos for solving one of my shop problems, with something I already own.

That's at least two beers I owe you, PT.

I made a quick and easy sheath for my travel chisel. Some thin cardboard for the size and shape, then warped with enough duct tape. Its lasted about 10 years so far. Quick and easy, and not likely to get taken as something valuable.

I made my own chisel edge protectors out of masking tape and plasti dip... Got the idea from a Chris Schwarz blog. Worked really well actually!

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/wo...wn-edge-guards

Quote Originally Posted by bob blakeborough View Post
    I made my own chisel edge protectors out of masking tape and plasti dip... Got the idea from a Chris Schwarz blog. Worked really well actually!

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/wo...wn-edge-guards
    Yeah, I found that, too. But isn't the plasti dip sorta expensive, and once opened you have to use the product fairly quickly?

I'd hate to spend $10 on a can of the stuff, use a few tablespoons, and then find the can was hardened when I wanted to use it again in a year.

I'm going to explore the binder clips.

I don't tote mine around ever but I would want a similar version of this.

Maybe with a padded clamping arm across the blades so they don't touch ANYTHING at the blade edge; not even the end grain shown here etc., The rolls seam to me like they would pick up grit over time and the leather ones, at least from a knife connoisseur perspective causes the blades to corrode due to the leather tanning chemicals. Good knives are not to be stored in their leather sheath. Samurai sword scabbards are wood.

Just my inexperienced perspective.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrije Stamenkovic View Post
    I store chisels, drill bits, files and rasps and other tools in tool rolls. I get old worn-out jeans or canvas and sew them on my treadle sewing machine. I bet you can do the same or get somebody to do it for you, it's much cheaper and simplier than using leather and you get the exact size you need.
    You can make them so that the tools are stored in both bottom and top or just in the bottom. I'd choose the second option and with chisels I would push the handles inside the pockets and flip the top over the edges so they don't cling against each other. In the first and fourth pictures they put the edges inside, but I fear that might poke a hole through the canvas.

267739646.jpgSharpeningChisels003.jpgmhnoqn4.jpgchisel-roll-beauty.jpg
    Thank you for the good idea Dimitrije!
    Fred

I just use a piece of cardboard folded and stapeled together as a sheath which are easily replaced if lost.
    if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
    Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
    Red Green