Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Portable converter for 220 single phase to 3 phase?

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi, my portable sawmill uses a VFD where single phase power is available.

It has a 10/3 cab tyre cord on the input and a 208V 3 phase receptacle mounted to it as the output.

When it's not being the portable sawmill power it's hanging on my wifes lathe..........Rod.
    Hey Rod - do you happen to have a pic of that?

We have a German engineer in NZ who makes these converter for sale, have a look at his website, a lot of information , I think the limit is 10hp. Send him an email if you want, very helpful guy.

http://www.eurotech.co.nz

here is one his listing on our "eBay" equivalent

http://www.trademe.co.nz/building-re...-734061331.htm
    Last edited by Albert Lee; 05-28-2014 at 4:51 PM.

Define "portable". I have an RPC with a 10hp Baldor motor, it sits on a plywood platform that's about 2'x2', and I roll it around as needed. I believe I may have posted a picture in a thread last fall.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

I have a 5hp rotary phase converter to run two 3 hp machines. They are only run one at a time. I wired the two machines into a simple on/off box. The converter is turned on first, then either machine. The box could easily have a plug on it to fit a 220 outlet. Been using this system for over 20 years - works great and is safe.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (92.2 KB, 43 views)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clark FL View Post
    I have a 5hp rotary phase converter to run two 3 hp machines. They are only run one at a time. I wired the two machines into a simple on/off box. The converter is turned on first, then either machine. The box could easily have a plug on it to fit a 220 outlet. Been using this system for over 20 years - works great and is safe.
    That's probably what I am looking for right there Tom, did you wire it up yourself or an electrician?

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    Define "portable". I have an RPC with a 10hp Baldor motor, it sits on a plywood platform that's about 2'x2', and I roll it around as needed. I believe I may have posted a picture in a thread last fall.
    John - I mean portable enough just to be able to move it from 1 house to another every couple of years. Ideally portable means it is small and can be plugged into the wall...not fixed onto the electrical board on the side of a house. Could you share a pic of your setup?

My machine is only 1 HP and I wouldn't be using anything else at the same time.

A VFD weighs about a pound, you can't get more portable than that.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Evan:

I use an "RPC" (photo attached) which is semi-transportable. In other words, were I to move, it could be disconnected in less than an hour and ready for reinstall in about the same maybe a bit longer. It's used to power my bandsaw (220v), mortiser and grinder (440v via transformer), and combi (220v - slider, jointer, planer, shaper) ... so I need to plug and unplug when using different machines. That's a pia and I recently purchased additional outlets to alleviate that issue. I do plan on connecting the tools via conduit and outlets in the near future. That will make the whole setup less transportable. The numbers on the photo detail the parts. The RPC has proven super reliable but definitely contributes to the overall noise volume.

A VFD powers my 3hp 3-phase dust collector - I love it and have posted about that elsewhere in a forum here. Higher hp is very $$$.

1) Power into shop
    2) Main Breaker in shop
    3) 3-phase "fused" disconnect (slow 30 amp)
    4) flex conduit for RPC (both in and out)
    5) RPC
    6) Outlet (L15-30R)
    7) cord to tools with plug matching outlet

PhaseConverter.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Lentz View Post
    John - I mean portable enough just to be able to move it from 1 house to another every couple of years. Ideally portable means it is small and can be plugged into the wall...not fixed onto the electrical board on the side of a house. Could you share a pic of your setup?

My machine is only 1 HP and I wouldn't be using anything else at the same time.
    Get a VFD ... 1 hp is cheap, small, light, and has features you will love!

Anyone know of a good online store to get a VFD?

I have bought several from ebay. I typically buy Hitachi ones that are direct shipped from Hitachi USA with factory warrantys. Drives Warehouse and Factorymation are two online stores I have bought from. Driveswarehouse sells on ebay too and that was the last place I bought from.

For a 1hp machine you can buy a VFD that will drive that 1hp 3 phase motor on 115V (yes 115V!) single phase.

WJ200-007MF 1hp 1-phase 115volt Input 3-phase Out 200-240volt Phase Converter
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clark FL View Post
    Now you have to show pics of the lathe and mill
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Now you have to show pics of the lathe and mill
    Well, if I have to. Was trying not to hijack thread…
    Tip, notice how RPC in previous photo is mounted on two sets of rubber feet. Runs very quietly, in spite of fact that it sits on stock rack.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (91.5 KB, 28 views)

If you use a rpc can u still use the existing plug on the 3 phase machines you connect to it ?

ty Joe

As requested, pics of my mobile RPC:

Junior 3.jpgJunior 1.jpgJunior 2.jpg

That is a Contico "stool box" in there for perspective, with a Record #4 on it in one pic. Actual dimensions of the RPC are 24" long, 18" wide, 18" high.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.