Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Replacement windows

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Rocker View Post
    While you can save some money doing it yourself, I decided to purchase windows from Gilky, they are high quality triple pain windows with a great warranty that I used within the first week. I would HIGHLY recommend Gilky windows unfortunately they are a Dayton Ohio company.

The old addage which is more important your time or your money......I am glad I had them installed after watching them custom fit each of the flashing's around each window.....
    Bryan,

One of the issues I have with these companies (window, siding, decks, etc.) is that they sub out the work and you don’t know what you’ll get until the job is completed or not completed. Gilky advertises in my area and I’m thinking they use their own crews. Did Gilky have a “factory” installation crew do your job?

Our Anderson slider had an issue with a pin in the latch mechanism coming loose so I called customer service. They told me how to get the door to latch temporarily, then overnighted a whole new redesigned latch.

Anderson makes different levels of window. We went with the 400 series (same with the door) and that latch is the only issue in 9 years.

Regarding actually doing windows...
    I did one on our house and it took my dad and I the better part of a day. I then hired someone to do 9 more, replace another 2 with the slider mentioned above including the associated drywall work, and adding nicer custom aluminum trim around them all. They were here a week.

This winter we hired someone to do our 3 oversized basement windows. I think he was here a total of 2 hours including doing the outside trim and he did a really nice job. My friend who is a handyman-job contractor didn't even want to do it because it would take him all day and he knew that was too long. For those windows which are at or slightly below grade I didn't want wood so we went with Sunrise vinyl windows which are made only about 6 miles away. My parents have them throughout their house for several years now and really like them.

How long does she plan to stay? Being able to say it has ____ windows who buyers would recognize from a flashy TV commercial is probably a good selling point, especially if that company has a transferable warranty.

Whatever brand you go with (I'm partial to Harvey & Andersen), the easiest type to install are the tilt-in "sash pack" types. Basically, it's a double-hung window pre-installed in a frame that you drop into an existing frame once you remove the old stops, sash and parting bead. I've installed dozens of these things and you don't have to mess with redoing trim. It's a great opportunity to insulate those old weight-pockets, too.

Here's a good example of what I'm talking about... (fast-forward to 1:13)

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/tv/a...642725,00.html

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    I want to hear all of it, if this I a bad idea I want to know.

This is an online seller of replacement windows:

http://www.windowestore.com/

But I have no idea if they're junk or what.
    Last edited by Jason White; 06-06-2014 at 12:00 AM.