Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 4x8 Sheets Fit These Vehicles...

4x8 Sheets Fit These Vehicles...

I'd like to start this thread, as many have asked this question on several forums. Can it be a sticky? Anyhow, I'm always on the lookout for vehicles that can fit a sheet of plywood, hatch down or tied down doesn't matter. I know my old Expedition fit sheet in with hatch down no prob. Also, my wife's old Nissan Xterra fit sheets in with hatch tied down, although I had to slip in a 6" high framework spacer under the sheets to get the weight off the wheel wells. Whenever I picked up sheets with the Xterra, workers were surprised that they just slipped right in.
    Who's next...Don't want to hear trailer.

Blog Entries
    Been looking at the Honda Ridgeline (for the wife )... I know a sheet lies flat in the bed with the tail down.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Been looking at the Honda Ridgeline (for the wife )... I know a sheet lies flat in the bed with the tail down.
    I received the first of the highest trim models delivered so have had mine for over 9 years. It has had 1000 pounds of 4x8 sheet goods in it numerous times. It is definitely loaded with that much weight that far back. The dual opening tailgate makes it easy to get a pallet loaded at the front of the bed.

The rear seats flip up completely giving you a flat rear floor for inside storage. I can't understand why the American designers are so clueless on that.

In many ways it is far, far superior to the traditional pickups. It drives much nicer. Not as good if you want to haul big loads or pull a large trailer. It is sized for a tall person. Rear vision is poor. I would get a back up camera and I normally backup using only my mirrors. There are strange air currents in the bed. Lots of things will blow out or around the bed that stay put in a normal pickup. A 5 seater pickup that holds sheetgood and fits inside a garage!

Get a minivan. Chrysler Town & Country/Dodge Caravan with stow-n-go seats. Wouldn't be without mine.
    "A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."
    -Steven Wright.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    I'd like to start this thread, as many have asked this question on several forums. Can it be a sticky? Anyhow, I'm always on the lookout for vehicles that can fit a sheet of plywood, hatch down or tied down doesn't matter. I know my old Expedition fit sheet in with hatch down no prob. Also, my wife's old Nissan Xterra fit sheets in with hatch tied down, although I had to slip in a 6" high framework spacer under the sheets to get the weight off the wheel wells. Whenever I picked up sheets with the Xterra, workers were surprised that they just slipped right in.
    Who's next...Don't want to hear trailer.
    Are you excluding pickup trucks, too?
    My '05 Silverado long bed will accommodate 4' x 8' sheets flat between the wheel wells with the tailgate closed, plus it has notches in the bed walls to accept two-bys to create a rack just above the wheel wells for larger stock like drywall.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Any full sized pickup will fit 4x8s between the wheel wells, whether they'll fit length wise with the tailgate up depends on bed length.
    AFAIK all full sized vans, including the new "Euro" vans (RAM Promaster, Ford Transit, Dodge Sprinter) will easily hold 4x8 sheets.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    The rear seats flip up completely giving you a flat rear floor for inside storage. I can't understand why the American designers are so clueless on that.
    You must not have looked at an F150 in a while, they've had fully flat floors with seats that fold up with one hand for many years.

F150 6.5' bed fully supports a sheet flat on the floor with the tailgate down and has tie downs that make it easy to run a strap over and under to hold them in place. And yes, flat floors and flip up seats in the back. Crew Cab has a cavernous back seat area--could put a small table back there--no joke. Supercab isn't bad either.

Trucks are fine, although I assume most would handle sheet goods just fine. Maybe I and people like me want to have their cake and eat it too. Optimally, another choice besides the Xterra, in a smaller SUV would be nice. I hear the Honda Pilot, like the Ridgeline, can do it as well.

Chevy Express 1500.....definetely takes 4x8 sheets, but I guess that's no surprise. Problem is mine is a cargo van with only one passenger seat, so it's better at moving wood than people. Wish I had ordered it with one removable bench seat at the time. If delivery is an option that beats beating up your passenger vehicle, probably not an option for everyone though.

The Ford Ranger will fit 4X8 sheets with 2X4's in the side pockets and the 4X8 sheets will lie flat on those 2X4's with the tailgate down, even the short 6" bed.

George

When I first read the OP I was thinking pickup too- I have a F350 that fit's a whole bunch of sheet goods with the tailgate closed. I do have to flip the 5th wheel hitch over when I get those though.

The Ford Edge and the 2012 and earlier Ford Escape will take a 4x8 sheet on the diagonal. I don't know about the new style models.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

Blog Entries
    I can fit a 4 x 8 sheet in my 2012 Honda Pilot with the tail gate tied down and about 16-18" hanging out. It will lay flat, but it is a close fit.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

If it can't fit a 4x8 in the bed with the tailgate up, it ain't a truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I can fit a 4 x 8 sheet in my 2012 Honda Pilot with the tail gate tied down and about 16-18" hanging out. It will lay flat, but it is a close fit.
    Tailgate tied is no prob. Main thing is that it will slide and out ok.